Old 03-08-2009, 04:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Help identify a plant

First posting here so be gentle with me!
Can anyone help identify a plant that is growing in our garden,
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21314696@N03/3784682659/ grows to about a
foot in height, is widespread in what was the previous owners veg
patch so I suspect is edible, I have tried a little and it tastes like
Sorrel, although the leaves are very different.
Has spread over a wide area, not too difficult to remove, but would
like to know what it is before we remove most of it. If it is edible I
will use it rather than compost it!!!
Thanks in anticipation
John
Old 03-08-2009, 10:20 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
First posting here so be gentle with me!
Can anyone help identify a plant that is growing in our garden,
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21314696@N03/3784682659/ grows to about a
foot in height, is widespread in what was the previous owners veg
patch so I suspect is edible, I have tried a little and it tastes like
Sorrel, although the leaves are very different.
Has spread over a wide area, not too difficult to remove, but would
like to know what it is before we remove most of it. If it is edible I
will use it rather than compost it!!!
Thanks in anticipation
John
Probably New Zealand Spinach, which is drought-tolerant. It is quite edible, and is picked as and when needed so that it continues to grow. It is quite palatable.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/LyraEDISSer...nt_ve rsion=1
Old 04-08-2009, 02:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

http://tinyurl.com/mnumeugrows to about a

http://tinyurl.com/mgs8dm

--
beccabunga

Hi,
Thanks for the reply, but I am sure it is not New Zealand Spinach, the
leaves are very different
http://www.dkimages.com/discover/DKI...Spinach-2.html
also the stuff I have growing is a low growing plant, not vine like.
Thanks anyway, I am sure I will find out eventually!!
John
Old 04-08-2009, 02:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Can anyone help identify a plant that is growing in our garden,http://www..flickr.com/photos/213146...84682659/grows to about a
foot in height, is widespread in what was the previous owners veg
patch so I suspect is edible, I have tried a little and it tastes like
Sorrel, although the leaves are very different.
Has spread over a wide area, not too difficult to remove, but would
like to know what it is before we remove most of it. If it is edible I
will use it rather than compost it!!!
Thanks in anticipation
John

Wild guess: Chenopodium or Atriplex of some kind. These are usually
around a foot or foot and a half or so tall and are common weeds of
cultivated ground and some are grown/used to be grown for medicinal or
culinary purposes. The most famous has the unlikely name of
Chenopodium bonus-henricus
or Good King Henry.

Google images to see examples.
e.g. http://www.seedman.com/image/ht108.jpg

Not a very good fit to your leaf but possible?

Old 04-08-2009, 02:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

John writes
On Aug 3, 10:20*pm, beccabunga
wrote:
John;859327 Wrote:

[...]

http://www.dkimages.com/discover/DKI...rdening/Kitche
n-Garden/Vegetables/Vegetable-Groups/Leaf-and-Salad/New-Zealand-Spinach/
New-Zealand-Spinach-2.html
also the stuff I have growing is a low growing plant, not vine like.
Thanks anyway, I am sure I will find out eventually!!

New Zealand spinach *is* a low growing plant. It is not vine like in any
way.
--
Kay

Old 04-08-2009, 03:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Des Higgins wrote:

Wild guess: Chenopodium or Atriplex of some kind. These are usually
around a foot or foot and a half or so tall and are common weeds of
cultivated ground and some are grown/used to be grown for medicinal or
culinary purposes. The most famous has the unlikely name of
Chenopodium bonus-henricus or Good King Henry.

Goosefoot is pretty well-known, too - and edible.

Not a very good fit to your leaf but possible?

As you say, there are many others. Pictures of the plant and more
of the leaves (and preferably flowers) would help.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

New Zealand spinach *is* a low growing plant. It is not vine like in any
way.
--
Kay

I stand corrected, I had misread the page :-) must get my eyes tested
again soon!
John