Old 04-08-2009, 10:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_8_] Billy[_8_] is offline

Default Another tomato plant problem - pics

In article ,
Miles wrote:

Hi,

Sorry, I'm sure you get this all the time, but recently some of my
tomato plants have developed a black and yellow leaves with black
patches on the stalks.

There are several varieties mixed in together.

In hindsight I know they are planted far too close together!

There is loads of fruit, but none has ripened yet.

So what should I do?

When will the the fruit start to ripen?

If I need to terminate the plant, can i rescue the fruit and ripen it
off the plant?

[image: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3.../SDC10564.jpg]
[image: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3.../SDC10565.jpg]
[image: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3.../SDC10566.jpg]
[image: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3.../SDC10567.jpg]
[image: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3.../SDC10569.jpg]
[image: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3.../SDC10568.jpg]

Many thanks!

The plants look wet. Is this part of the syndrome or do you water the
leaves as well as the soil?

So to the drill:
what is your climate, soil, hours of sunlight, how often do you water?
Include anything else that may be helpful.

Actually this looks much like a recent discussion of "late blight". Your
third picture looks similar to the second and third picture at the site
below.
http://www.hort.cornell.edu/departme...gpath/photos/l
ateblight_tomato.htm

If it isn't late blight, it still looks like a mold or mildew of some
variety.
Google: "tomatoes, diseases, pictures"
and hopefully you'll find a match.

Until someone else chimes in, I'd say remove dead foliage, don't water
the leaves (only the ground when it's dry, and don't splash it on the
leaves), check with a nursery for an organic anti-fungicidal, such as
you'll find on
http://www.planetnatural.com/site/xd...0Control/Fungi
cides%20&%20Plant%20Disease

There should be some other suggestions coming along soon.

Good luck.
--
Racial injustice, war, urban blight, and environmental rape have a common denominator in our exploitative economic system.*
~Channing E. Phillips

http://tinyurl.com/o63ruj
http://countercurrents.org/roberts020709.htm