Old 04-08-2009, 09:21 PM
Registered User

Default Another tomato plant problem - pics

Hi,

Sorry, I'm sure you get this all the time, but recently some of my tomato plants have developed a black and yellow leaves with black patches on the stalks.

There are several varieties mixed in together.

In hindsight I know they are planted far too close together!

There is loads of fruit, but none has ripened yet.

So what should I do?

When will the the fruit start to ripen?

If I need to terminate the plant, can i rescue the fruit and ripen it off the plant?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...l/SDC10564.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...l/SDC10565.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...l/SDC10566.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...l/SDC10567.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...l/SDC10569.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...l/SDC10568.jpg

Many thanks!
Old 04-08-2009, 10:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Miles wrote:

Hi,

Sorry, I'm sure you get this all the time, but recently some of my
tomato plants have developed a black and yellow leaves with black
patches on the stalks.

There are several varieties mixed in together.

In hindsight I know they are planted far too close together!

There is loads of fruit, but none has ripened yet.

So what should I do?

When will the the fruit start to ripen?

If I need to terminate the plant, can i rescue the fruit and ripen it
off the plant?

[image: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3.../SDC10564.jpg]
[image: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3.../SDC10565.jpg]
[image: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3.../SDC10566.jpg]
[image: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3.../SDC10567.jpg]
[image: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3.../SDC10569.jpg]
[image: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3.../SDC10568.jpg]

Many thanks!

The plants look wet. Is this part of the syndrome or do you water the
leaves as well as the soil?

So to the drill:
what is your climate, soil, hours of sunlight, how often do you water?
Include anything else that may be helpful.

Actually this looks much like a recent discussion of "late blight". Your
third picture looks similar to the second and third picture at the site
below.
http://www.hort.cornell.edu/departme...gpath/photos/l
ateblight_tomato.htm

If it isn't late blight, it still looks like a mold or mildew of some
variety.
Google: "tomatoes, diseases, pictures"
and hopefully you'll find a match.

Until someone else chimes in, I'd say remove dead foliage, don't water
the leaves (only the ground when it's dry, and don't splash it on the
leaves), check with a nursery for an organic anti-fungicidal, such as
you'll find on
http://www.planetnatural.com/site/xd...0Control/Fungi
cides%20&%20Plant%20Disease

There should be some other suggestions coming along soon.

Good luck.
--
Racial injustice, war, urban blight, and environmental rape have a common denominator in our exploitative economic system.*
~Channing E. Phillips

http://tinyurl.com/o63ruj
http://countercurrents.org/roberts020709.htm
Old 05-08-2009, 11:15 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Miles said:

Sorry, I'm sure you get this all the time, but recently some of my
tomato plants have developed a black and yellow leaves with black
patches on the stalks.

There are several varieties mixed in together.

In hindsight I know they are planted far too close together!

There is loads of fruit, but none has ripened yet.

So what should I do?

When will the the fruit start to ripen?

If I need to terminate the plant, can i rescue the fruit and ripen it
off the plant?

Looks like Late Blight, a HUGE problem this year in a large part of
the US:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/18/ny...8tomatoes.html

Terminate the infected plants (bag and trash). No fungicide will
save them.

Unaffected plants MAY be protected by fungicide applications but
brace yourself for the possibility of a total loss.

Scout around for weeds in the nightshade family which may also
be infected and get rid of them, too.

See pictures he

http://www.hort.cornell.edu/departme...rec/vegpath/ph
otos/lateblight_tomato.htm

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"So, it was all a dream."
"No dear, this is the dream, you're still in the cell."

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 05-08-2009, 01:00 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy[_8_] View Post
In article ,
Miles
wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the reply.

I'm based in Cornwall, UK. Temps have probably been between 13 to 20 degrees for the last few weeks and very wet. Hours of daylight are probably about 15/16, but hours of sun light have been very few recently.

I've not watered the plants for a good 3 weeks because its been raining so much. This also means I've not fed them! (oops!)

I started chopping off the infected leaves yesterday, but will carry on tonight, and might terminate the 2 infected plants completely in an attempt to save the rest!
Old 05-08-2009, 05:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Miles wrote:

'Billy[_8_ Wrote:
;859473']In article ,
Miles
-

http://tinyurl.com/lptw2x
[image: http://tinyurl.com/klpg3o
[image: http://tinyurl.com/nlqel4
[image: http://tinyurl.com/l9wp7f
[image: http://tinyurl.com/mvc7ar
[image: http://tinyurl.com/lr7ocz

http://tinyurl.com/mndkdz

http://tinyurl.com/lgda3e

http://tinyurl.com/kolafj

Thanks for the reply.

I'm based in Cornwall, UK. Temps have probably been between 13 to 20
degrees for the last few weeks and very wet. Hours of daylight are
probably about 15/16, but hours of sun light have been very few
recently.

I've not watered the plants for a good 3 weeks because its been raining
so much. This also means I've not fed them! (oops!)

I started chopping off the infected leaves yesterday, but will carry on
tonight, and might terminate the 2 infected plants completely in an
attempt to save the rest!

See Pat Kiewicz's post.
No matter what kind of mold you have, get rid of the two infected plants
without touching them with the infected ones. Try not to touch infected
plants with your hands or tools, and then touch healthy plants. Wash
hands first and disinfect tools with bleach.

As I have written, we had just discussed "Late Blight" which looks very
similar (or identical) to your problem. This is what much of the East
Coast of the U.S. is looking at:
http://www.boston.com/news/local/mas...9/07/31/diseas
e_that_spawned_irelands_potato_famine_hits_new_eng land/

Good luck.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:40 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy[_8_] View Post
In article ,
Miles
wrote:

'Billy[_8_ Wrote:
;859473']In article
,
Miles
wrote:
-
[...]

Thanks again for the advice.

I went out this evening and they had deteriorated badly just 24 hours later. All plants of different variety are showing symptoms, so I've killed the lot of them.

Gutted.

I dont suppose there is any chance that some of the green fruit will ripen off the plant? What can I do to give them the best chance?
Old 06-08-2009, 07:16 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Miles wrote:

'Billy[_8_ Wrote:
;859586']In article ,
Miles
wrote:
-
'Billy[_8_ Wrote: -
;859473']In article
,
Miles
-

http://tinyurl.com/m6csgp
e_that_spawned_irelands_potato_famine_hits_new_eng land/

Good luck.
--
Racial injustice, war, urban blight, and environmental rape have a
common denominator in our exploitative economic system.*
~Channing E. Phillips

http://tinyurl.com/o63ruj
http://tinyurl.com/kolafj

Thanks again for the advice.

I went out this evening and they had deteriorated badly just 24 hours
later. All plants of different variety are showing symptoms, so I've
killed the lot of them.

Gutted.

I dont suppose there is any chance that some of the green fruit will
ripen off the plant? What can I do to give them the best chance?

OK, to be honest, I haven't tried this my self, but wash green tomatoes
in a 5% bleach solution for 20 min. Wash with dish washing detergent at
the same concentration you would use to wash dishes. Rinse and pat DRY.
Place green tomatoes in a bag with a ripe tomato or a ripe banana and
seal the bag. The ripe fruit will generate ethylene gas which will ripen
your green tomatoes. Check after a week. You may still lose some of your
tomatoes but you should be able to salvage some of them.

Welcome to the wonderful world of agriculture. At some point try and
remember, there will be a year where everything goes perfectly for no
apparent reason.

I hope someone has a better idea, but I doubt it.

Just wait till next year ;O)

Old 06-08-2009, 05:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Wed, 05 Aug 2009 23:16:39 -0700, Billy
wrote:

In article ,
Miles wrote:

'Billy[_8_ Wrote:

I hope someone has a better idea, but I doubt it.

Hah....shows what you know, old man.

FRIED GREEN TOMATOES.

You gotta do it this year, if'n you ain't done it before.

Charlie

Been there, and will do that again.
Oh, fried green tomatoes are good, but no comparison to the real deal;O)
IMHO

Old 08-08-2009, 04:01 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Miles" wrote in message

I went out this evening and they had deteriorated badly just 24 hours
later. All plants of different variety are showing symptoms, so I've
killed the lot of them.

Gutted.

I dont suppose there is any chance that some of the green fruit will
ripen off the plant? What can I do to give them the best chance?

It may ripen and may not. Don't plant tomatoes, peppers or eggplants in that
spot for the next few years. Late blight is a constant problem where I live,
even on virgin land.

--
Miles