Old 16-04-2003, 03:44 PM
jo

Default I'm killing my loropetalum!

----- Original Message -----
From: "bryan lafleur"
Newsgroups: rec.gardens
Sent: Wednesday, April 16, 2003 7:41 AM
Subject: I'm killing my loropetalum!

I deal with the same type of soil in the Dallas area, and neither of
the plants you mentioned will do well in it as is. I dont agree that
tilling is out of the question. If you have the room to do it, raised
beds are the best solution.

I think this is the best solution for some of my areas. We had a neighbor
bring us a pick axe after he watched us trying to dig a hole for a plant
with a shovel. He informed us our lot was used to store gravel and sand
piles before our house was built. Apparently front and center of my lawn
was the gravel pile. Maybe I'll have an easier time when I find the old
sand pile.

If not, check and see how deep the
sprinkler pipes are. Electrical and plumbing lines should be at least
2 feet deep, tillers only go down 8-9 inches. Call the phone and
cable companies to mark their lines. In Texas we have a 1-800 number
that coordinates marking all utility lines free. In new houses in our
area, sprinkler pipes are generally put in at least 18", just watch
for the heads.

Our sprinklers are at least 8" and the phone is between 2 to 8" (they cross
sprinkler lines) I watched them bury the phone line in my planting bed so
even though the line dodges a large rock and some trees, I do have a general
idea of where it is. I'll try to get plumbing, gas, and electric to mark
their lines. Tilling even 2 or 3 of my 5 areas would greatly reduce the
backstrain aspect involved.

Use compost instead of topsoil if you till it, use a premixed planting
mix if you raise the beds.

Will do. I wonder if adding sand would help, or would I just be making
cement? Anyone know a proper ratio of compost to sand if this is a good
idea?

Thanks for your ideas Bryan.

Jo, who will not complain about midwest soil ever again.

Good luck,
Bryan