Old 15-04-2003, 04:44 PM
jo

Default I'm killing my loropetalum!

Well, not on purpose!

We just moved to Alabama from the Great Lakes area and have a large lot with
Bermuda turf out front and woods in the back. My problem is the planting
areas around the house are clay and its the kind where it's rock hard when
it's dry and you sink into it when it's wet.

The builder put loropetalum and creeping juniper at the front of the house
(and he says he added topsoil) but several of the loropetalum and one
juniper looks half dead. They are on the north side of the house but most of
the bad ones are far enough out to get some sun. What if anything can I try
to save these plants?

BTW, irrigation system and underground utilities run through the beds at the
house and along the planting beds bordering my neighbors property lines so
rototilling is out. We also sit about 100 ft. back from the street, so
there is lots of ground for us to cover. Any other suggestions for what
besides trees grow in these conditions would be welcomed.

Jo

Old 16-04-2003, 01:44 PM
bryan lafleur

BTW, irrigation system and underground utilities run through the beds at the
house and along the planting beds bordering my neighbors property lines so
rototilling is out. We also sit about 100 ft. back from the street, so
there is lots of ground for us to cover. Any other suggestions for what
besides trees grow in these conditions would be welcomed.

I deal with the same type of soil in the Dallas area, and neither of
the plants you mentioned will do well in it as is. I dont agree that
tilling is out of the question. If you have the room to do it, raised
beds are the best solution. If not, check and see how deep the
sprinkler pipes are. Electrical and plumbing lines should be at least
2 feet deep, tillers only go down 8-9 inches. Call the phone and
cable companies to mark their lines. In Texas we have a 1-800 number
that coordinates marking all utility lines free. In new houses in our
area, sprinkler pipes are generally put in at least 18", just watch
for the heads.

Use compost instead of topsoil if you till it, use a premixed planting
mix if you raise the beds.

Good luck,
Bryan
Old 16-04-2003, 03:44 PM
jo

I deal with the same type of soil in the Dallas area, and neither of
the plants you mentioned will do well in it as is. I dont agree that
tilling is out of the question. If you have the room to do it, raised
beds are the best solution.

I think this is the best solution for some of my areas. We had a neighbor
bring us a pick axe after he watched us trying to dig a hole for a plant
with a shovel. He informed us our lot was used to store gravel and sand
piles before our house was built. Apparently front and center of my lawn
was the gravel pile. Maybe I'll have an easier time when I find the old
sand pile.

If not, check and see how deep the
sprinkler pipes are. Electrical and plumbing lines should be at least
2 feet deep, tillers only go down 8-9 inches. Call the phone and
cable companies to mark their lines. In Texas we have a 1-800 number
that coordinates marking all utility lines free. In new houses in our
area, sprinkler pipes are generally put in at least 18", just watch
for the heads.

Our sprinklers are at least 8" and the phone is between 2 to 8" (they cross
sprinkler lines) I watched them bury the phone line in my planting bed so
even though the line dodges a large rock and some trees, I do have a general
idea of where it is. I'll try to get plumbing, gas, and electric to mark
their lines. Tilling even 2 or 3 of my 5 areas would greatly reduce the
backstrain aspect involved.

Use compost instead of topsoil if you till it, use a premixed planting
mix if you raise the beds.

Will do. I wonder if adding sand would help, or would I just be making
cement? Anyone know a proper ratio of compost to sand if this is a good
idea?

Thanks for your ideas Bryan.

Jo, who will not complain about midwest soil ever again.

Good luck,
Bryan

[IMG] code is On

[IBC] loropetalum, Iris Cohen Bonsai 0 29-10-2003 05:42 PM
[IBC] loropetalum, was boxwood Kitsune Miko Bonsai 0 29-10-2003 04:12 PM
propagating Loropetalum Jacqueline Davidson Gardening 0 12-07-2003 08:56 PM
Loropetalum, 'Pizzazz' madgardener Gardening 9 12-07-2003 06:56 PM
Loropetalum Companion Plants Berob Gardening 1 11-05-2003 02:56 AM