Old 05-08-2009, 05:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_8_] Billy[_8_] is offline

Default Another tomato plant problem - pics

In article ,
Miles wrote:

'Billy[_8_ Wrote:
;859473']In article ,
Miles
wrote:
-
Hi,

Sorry, I'm sure you get this all the time, but recently some of my
tomato plants have developed a black and yellow leaves with black
patches on the stalks.

There are several varieties mixed in together.

In hindsight I know they are planted far too close together!

There is loads of fruit, but none has ripened yet.

So what should I do?

When will the the fruit start to ripen?

If I need to terminate the plant, can i rescue the fruit and ripen it
off the plant?

[image:
http://tinyurl.com/lptw2x
[image: http://tinyurl.com/klpg3o
[image: http://tinyurl.com/nlqel4
[image: http://tinyurl.com/l9wp7f
[image: http://tinyurl.com/mvc7ar
[image: http://tinyurl.com/lr7ocz

Many thanks!-

The plants look wet. Is this part of the syndrome or do you water the
leaves as well as the soil?

So to the drill:
what is your climate, soil, hours of sunlight, how often do you water?

Include anything else that may be helpful.

Actually this looks much like a recent discussion of "late blight".
Your
third picture looks similar to the second and third picture at the site

below.
http://tinyurl.com/mndkdz
ateblight_tomato.htm

If it isn't late blight, it still looks like a mold or mildew of some
variety.
Google: "tomatoes, diseases, pictures"
and hopefully you'll find a match.

Until someone else chimes in, I'd say remove dead foliage, don't water

the leaves (only the ground when it's dry, and don't splash it on the
leaves), check with a nursery for an organic anti-fungicidal, such as
you'll find on
http://tinyurl.com/lgda3e
cides%20&%20Plant%20Disease

There should be some other suggestions coming along soon.

Good luck.
--
Racial injustice, war, urban blight, and environmental rape have a
common denominator in our exploitative economic system.*

http://tinyurl.com/o63ruj
http://tinyurl.com/kolafj

Thanks for the reply.

I'm based in Cornwall, UK. Temps have probably been between 13 to 20
degrees for the last few weeks and very wet. Hours of daylight are
probably about 15/16, but hours of sun light have been very few
recently.

I've not watered the plants for a good 3 weeks because its been raining
so much. This also means I've not fed them! (oops!)

I started chopping off the infected leaves yesterday, but will carry on
tonight, and might terminate the 2 infected plants completely in an
attempt to save the rest!

See Pat Kiewicz's post.
No matter what kind of mold you have, get rid of the two infected plants
without touching them with the infected ones. Try not to touch infected
plants with your hands or tools, and then touch healthy plants. Wash
hands first and disinfect tools with bleach.

As I have written, we had just discussed "Late Blight" which looks very
similar (or identical) to your problem. This is what much of the East
Coast of the U.S. is looking at:
http://www.boston.com/news/local/mas...9/07/31/diseas
e_that_spawned_irelands_potato_famine_hits_new_eng land/

Good luck.
--

http://countercurrents.org/roberts020709.htm