Old 16-04-2003, 03:56 PM
Cass

Default Evergreen Companion Hedge

In article , CG
wrote:

Our HOA has a 4-foot fence rule. I like our neighbors, but I also like my
privacy. I'd like to plant some sort of rambler or hedge along the fence
line (open to suggestions here, too). I thought of putting some sort of
conifers or other evergreens behind the roses for additional interest but
don't want to go much abouve 6'-8' in height. We're in Zone 5 (Kansas City
area)

What would work or is this even feasible? Thanks!

A few questions come to mine.

What is the orientation of the fence? HOw much sun will the roses get?

Roses aren't evergreen in KC. Do you intend to screen with a different
plant?

How wide are you willing to let these plants grow?

If the orientation is right and you're satisfied with greenery during
the growing season, then a row of rubust climbers grown as shrubs will
do the deed. William Baffin and John Cabot probably get big enough for
your purposes. I hope Theo will chime in with varieties that do well
there. Here, I'd plant Sally Holmes, which is 6 feet tall and 7 feet
wide, but you can't rely on that size in your climate because of winter
kill.