Old 16-04-2003, 02:44 PM
CG

Default Evergreen Companion Hedge

Our HOA has a 4-foot fence rule. I like our neighbors, but I also like my
privacy. I'd like to plant some sort of rambler or hedge along the fence
line (open to suggestions here, too). I thought of putting some sort of
conifers or other evergreens behind the roses for additional interest but
don't want to go much abouve 6'-8' in height. We're in Zone 5 (Kansas City
area)

What would work or is this even feasible? Thanks!

Old 16-04-2003, 03:56 PM
Cass

In article , CG
wrote:

Our HOA has a 4-foot fence rule. I like our neighbors, but I also like my
privacy. I'd like to plant some sort of rambler or hedge along the fence
line (open to suggestions here, too). I thought of putting some sort of
conifers or other evergreens behind the roses for additional interest but
don't want to go much abouve 6'-8' in height. We're in Zone 5 (Kansas City
area)

What would work or is this even feasible? Thanks!

A few questions come to mine.

What is the orientation of the fence? HOw much sun will the roses get?

Roses aren't evergreen in KC. Do you intend to screen with a different
plant?

How wide are you willing to let these plants grow?

If the orientation is right and you're satisfied with greenery during
the growing season, then a row of rubust climbers grown as shrubs will
do the deed. William Baffin and John Cabot probably get big enough for
your purposes. I hope Theo will chime in with varieties that do well
there. Here, I'd plant Sally Holmes, which is 6 feet tall and 7 feet
wide, but you can't rely on that size in your climate because of winter
kill.
Old 18-04-2003, 02:32 PM
CG

"Cass" wrote in message
In article , CG
wrote:

A few questions come to mine.

What is the orientation of the fence? HOw much sun will the roses get?

Roses aren't evergreen in KC. Do you intend to screen with a different
plant?

How wide are you willing to let these plants grow?

If the orientation is right and you're satisfied with greenery during
the growing season, then a row of rubust climbers grown as shrubs will
do the deed. William Baffin and John Cabot probably get big enough for
your purposes. I hope Theo will chime in with varieties that do well
there. Here, I'd plant Sally Holmes, which is 6 feet tall and 7 feet
wide, but you can't rely on that size in your climate because of winter
kill.

The fence will be on the east side of the roses, so they'll be getting
western sun for the most part. The backyard faces southwest. I wanted some
evergreens (conifers or other) to plant behind them for the evergreen, but
not sure how that will work.

Old 18-04-2003, 04:08 PM
Theo Asir

4' Fence. That's just Wrong!!

My HOA is 5'-6'.

getting back to your question
I'd say you have a few options
for your ever green.

To go with roses I'd get one of the following.
Either a taller growing Juniper, Boxwood or Euonymus.
Check around there are several varieties of each
that grow to about 6' and no more. The boxwood
is extremely slow. Euonymus are evergreen and
their leaves form wonderful colorful displays.
Relatively fast growing. Check link below.

http://www.waysidegardens.com/webapp...atalogDisplay?
storeId=10151&catalogId=10067&langId=-1&mainPage=prod2working&ItemId=46791&F
romTextSearch=euon

The reason I mention these plants is cos they are very easy to
grow. Tend to look after them selves and most important don't
compete with roses.

As Cass mentioned there are several factors that affect
rose selection. For your exposed location I'd recommend
a Hardy OWN ROOT rose. Can't tell you how important
the own root part is. In Z5 the chances of graft survival without
protection are non existant.

Here are some (many w/ strong upright canes) I recommend.
Alexander MacKenzie, J.P.Connell, Darlows Enigma,
The Fairy, The Pilgrim, Iceberg, Sunsprite, Jacques Cartier,
Alba mediland, La Reine, Louis Odier, Lavender Lassie,
Compassion, Salet(floppy but what blooms).

Please move quickly and plant the roses by end of May.
It gets far too hot for planting by then. The next planting
window will open in September.

Here are some Own Root Suppliers who have most of these
in stock.

http://www.vintagegardens.com/
http://www.chambleeroses.com/
http://www.michaelsrose.com/

DO NOT what ever you do go down
to home depot/wall mart and pick up those
dead looking roses. Remember too roses
need heavy watering atleast twice a week.

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City

"CG" wrote in message

Old 19-04-2003, 05:08 AM
Cass

In article , CG
wrote:

"Cass" wrote in message
In article , CG
wrote:

[...]

I know only one thing: don't plant all the same thing in a row. Sure as
shootin one will fail or die and you'll have the missing front tooth
look. I'm all in favor of planting 3 of one thing, 2 of another, or
something like that. Be sure to ask at a reputable nursery whether your
evergreens have invasive roots (you don't want them).

The hardest thing is to resist the compulsion to plant your itty bitty
new roses too close to your itty bitty new everygreens. Best of all
worlds is to plant something you can shear if it intrudes. Then plant
smaller roses in front. The Fairy is cute and not so little - 4 or 5
ft. wide - and really hardy.