Old 06-08-2009, 08:49 PM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_8_] Billy[_8_] is offline

Default Growing Cactai in my flat

In article ,
JDOD wrote:

Hi,

Hello this is my first post! I'm planning on growing potted cactai in
my flat, I am often only at home on weekends so Cactai seem like the
ideal choice.

I am particularly interested in growing Peyote,

Be advised, United States federal law (and many state laws) protects the
harvest, possession, consumption and cultivation of peyote as part of
"bonafide religious ceremonies" (the federal statute is 42 USC §1996a
"Traditional Indian religious use of the peyote sacrament," exempting
only Native American use, while some state laws exempt any general
"bonafide religious activity")
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peyote#United_States

I would guess that Peyote needs strong sunlight, since it is a desert
plant. Other than a strong grow light, and a timer switch, I don't see a
problem. You may want to get some of that cactus potting soil.

Good luck.
however I understand
this can be difficult to cultivate so would like some advice. I
understand that even mature Peyote are relatively small so I can have a
few of them round the flat.

Any advice on watering, soil, pot size, food etc would all be welcome.
As well as any info on where I can pick up seeds or seedlings etc.

I'll also probably grow a San Pedro cactus, but I understand that these
are much easier to manage, also much larger so I will only have one!

Thanks in advance.

--
Racial injustice, war, urban blight, and environmental rape have a common denominator in our exploitative economic system.*
~Channing E. Phillips

http://tinyurl.com/o63ruj
http://countercurrents.org/roberts020709.htm