Old 06-08-2009, 09:02 AM
Registered User

Talking Growing Cactai in my flat

Hi,

Hello this is my first post! I'm planning on growing potted cactai in my flat, I am often only at home on weekends so Cactai seem like the ideal choice.

I am particularly interested in growing Peyote, however I understand this can be difficult to cultivate so would like some advice. I understand that even mature Peyote are relatively small so I can have a few of them round the flat.

Any advice on watering, soil, pot size, food etc would all be welcome. As well as any info on where I can pick up seeds or seedlings etc.

I'll also probably grow a San Pedro cactus, but I understand that these are much easier to manage, also much larger so I will only have one!

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-08-2009, 05:34 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Growing Cactai in my flat

On Aug 6, 1:02*am, JDOD wrote:
Hi,

Hello this is my first post! I'm planning on growing potted cactai in
my flat, I am often only at home on weekends so Cactai seem like the
ideal choice.

I am particularly interested in growing Peyote, however I understand
this can be difficult to cultivate so would like some advice. I
understand that even mature Peyote are relatively small so I can have a
few of them round the flat.

Any advice on watering, soil, pot size, food etc would all be welcome.
As well as any info on where I can pick up seeds or seedlings etc.

I'll also probably grow a San Pedro cactus, but I understand that these
are much easier to manage, also much larger so I will only have one!

Is peyote illegal to grow?

Karen
Old 06-08-2009, 08:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
JDOD wrote:

Hi,

Hello this is my first post! I'm planning on growing potted cactai in
my flat, I am often only at home on weekends so Cactai seem like the
ideal choice.

I am particularly interested in growing Peyote,

Be advised, United States federal law (and many state laws) protects the
harvest, possession, consumption and cultivation of peyote as part of
"bonafide religious ceremonies" (the federal statute is 42 USC §1996a
"Traditional Indian religious use of the peyote sacrament," exempting
only Native American use, while some state laws exempt any general
"bonafide religious activity")
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peyote#United_States

I would guess that Peyote needs strong sunlight, since it is a desert
plant. Other than a strong grow light, and a timer switch, I don't see a
problem. You may want to get some of that cactus potting soil.

Good luck.

--
Racial injustice, war, urban blight, and environmental rape have a common denominator in our exploitative economic system.*
~Channing E. Phillips

http://tinyurl.com/o63ruj
http://countercurrents.org/roberts020709.htm
Old 07-08-2009, 08:19 AM
Registered User

I've no idea about the legality of Peyote, I live in the UK, so no idea here either.

Peyote is a relatively endangered plant so if I'm going to grow something it might aswell be that. Personally I don't think anyone has the right to tell you what plants are and aren't illegal - they are naturally occuring species for god's sake!
Old 07-08-2009, 05:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
JDOD wrote:

I've no idea about the legality of Peyote, I live in the UK, so no idea
here either.

Peyote is a relatively endangered plant so if I'm going to grow
something it might aswell be that. Personally I don't think anyone has
the right to tell you what plants are and aren't illegal - they are
naturally occuring species for god's sake!

As Lenny Bruce said,"The only time I ever got into trouble with the law
is when I used common sense".

Old 07-08-2009, 05:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Aug 7, 12:19*am, JDOD wrote:
I've no idea about the legality of Peyote, I live in the UK, so no idea
here either.

Peyote is a relatively endangered plant so if I'm going to grow
something it might aswell be that. Personally I don't think anyone has
the right to tell you what plants are and aren't illegal - they are
naturally occuring species for god's sake!

You'd say the same about opium poppies and marijuana, I suppose.

Lots of things are naturally occuring, like farts and burps, and sex,
but in a civilized society, it's not just a free for all.

Karen
Old 07-08-2009, 10:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
JDOD wrote:

Hi,

Hello this is my first post! I'm planning on growing potted cactai in
my flat, I am often only at home on weekends so Cactai seem like the
ideal choice.

I am particularly interested in growing Peyote, however I understand
this can be difficult to cultivate so would like some advice. I
understand that even mature Peyote are relatively small so I can have a
few of them round the flat.

Any advice on watering, soil, pot size, food etc would all be welcome.
As well as any info on where I can pick up seeds or seedlings etc.

I'll also probably grow a San Pedro cactus, but I understand that these
are much easier to manage, also much larger so I will only have one!

Thanks in advance.

http://deoxy.org/leary.htm

Bill I'd just ingest nutmeg in moderation.

--

Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Old 07-08-2009, 11:02 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Bill who putters wrote:

In article ,
JDOD wrote:

Hi,

Hello this is my first post! I'm planning on growing potted cactai in
my flat, I am often only at home on weekends so Cactai seem like the
ideal choice.

I am particularly interested in growing Peyote, however I understand
this can be difficult to cultivate so would like some advice. I
understand that even mature Peyote are relatively small so I can have a
few of them round the flat.

Any advice on watering, soil, pot size, food etc would all be welcome.
As well as any info on where I can pick up seeds or seedlings etc.

I'll also probably grow a San Pedro cactus, but I understand that these
are much easier to manage, also much larger so I will only have one!

Thanks in advance.

http://deoxy.org/leary.htm

Bill I'd just ingest nutmeg in moderation.

³Five days a week my Body is a Temple, the other two Days itıs an
Amusement Park!²

Old 08-08-2009, 02:22 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Fri, 07 Aug 2009 17:05:47 -0400, Bill who putters
wrote:

In article ,
JDOD wrote:

Hi,

Hello this is my first post! I'm planning on growing potted cactai in
my flat, I am often only at home on weekends so Cactai seem like the
ideal choice.

I am particularly interested in growing Peyote, however I understand
this can be difficult to cultivate so would like some advice. I
understand that even mature Peyote are relatively small so I can have a
few of them round the flat.

Any advice on watering, soil, pot size, food etc would all be welcome.
As well as any info on where I can pick up seeds or seedlings etc.

I'll also probably grow a San Pedro cactus, but I understand that these
are much easier to manage, also much larger so I will only have one!

Thanks in advance.

http://deoxy.org/leary.htm

Bill I'd just ingest nutmeg in moderation.

Nutmeg tastes better also.......uh, so I hear.

Charlie

Hmmm. Nutmeg may taste better, but a tarte flambee, or a quiche Lorraine
with peyote would probably have better colors, eventually.

I haven't heard of it for years. I must be running in a different crowd
these days. It is renowned to be nasty tasting stuff though. I heard
once that people were reduced to peyote enemas, just to avoid the taste.
Fortunately, the large colon is very efficient at absorbing water, and I
guess, whatever is in it (the water). Just be sure to set aside 20 hours
for your "trip". It's not exactly a recreational experience, unless you
think a long conversation with God would be recreational.

Think I'll stick to Jameson, I'll have my talk with God soon enough.

Old 08-08-2009, 07:53 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Fri, 07 Aug 2009 18:22:22 -0700, Billy
wrote:

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Fri, 07 Aug 2009 17:05:47 -0400, Bill who putters
wrote:

In article ,
JDOD wrote:

[...]

Yeah, I also hear that emesis is involved (though I've heard similar
about Jameson's), given the oral route, but somehow it does seem
appropriate to worship at the ivory throne before engaging God in
conversation, doncha ya' think.

Anyone who thinks that plants, veggies, molds and such, that allow one
to experience "reality" with different eyes and wrest with God, as
simply recreational, is ignorant, to put it quite bluntly. One can
only assume that the legal prohibitions are in place because seeing
with other eyes allows one to see, perhaps, and hopefully forever,
past and through the social facade that has been constructed over the
millenia in order to keep the great unwashed in line. Can't have that
now, can we? Activates and precisely calibrates one's bullshit meter,
I hear.

You mention a period of hours for the conversation and experience, but
I would think that, once having had the initial conversation, and
perhaps further conversations, that the memory and reality and effect
upon one would last, uh, oh........for a long time.

Old Jacob woulda been in prison nowadays for perhaps ingesting and
wresting with God, eh?

Charlie

Stanford U. did some interesting experiments with LSD (kinda, sorta,
similar). Group of priests got a religious experience, only problem was
that it wasn't Christian, and a group of terminally ill folks came to
acceptance in another study. Eventually, we will return to see what
there is to see at the Doors of Perception.
http://www.amazon.com/Doors-Percepti...sics/dp/000654
7311/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1249713902&sr=1-2
Course this kind of behavior doesn't fit into a rational, consumer
society. Made that oxymoron up, all by myself;O)

Why ponder the universe, when you gotta get up at 6 AM to go to a
dead-end job you hate?

Old 10-08-2009, 09:01 AM
Registered User

Eh.... I was only wondering if anyone had any advice on growing cactai....

With regards to the comment on why I think naturally occuring plants should be legal (karen (3)'s post) - thats simple, they should be provided you are not trying to profit from it and/or are causing harm to others. Like anything really.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:38 PM
Registered User

I guess, Pate need strong sunlight, because it is a desert plant. In addition to the growth of a strong light, and a timer switch, I do not see problem. You may want to get some of the cactus potting soil.
__________________
Pond Supplies
Old 06-05-2011, 11:16 PM
Registered User

I would assumption that Peyote needs able sunlight, back it is a desert plant. Other than a able abound light, and a timer switch, I don't see a problem. You may wish to get some of that cactus potting soil.
hydroponics

[IMG] code is On

FLAT Tomato Stems? King Pineapple Edible Gardening 3 22-07-2003 03:53 AM
looking for large flat stones effi Gardening 0 10-06-2003 05:20 AM
Pergola flat top or slanted BS Lawns 0 09-05-2003 07:08 AM
Maxillaria callichroma- flat psuedobulbs Diane Mancino Orchids 0 16-04-2003 02:44 AM
Weird flat fungus? Sue United Kingdom 4 18-11-2002 09:39 PM