Old 06-08-2009, 07:40 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Greenhouse prep

"SteveB" wrote:

I hopefully am going to put a greenhouse where my current garden ..
errrrrrr......... patch of weeds is now.

What would be the best procedure to till this up, kill and pull all the
things growing there, and get it in shape so that next year I am not
overrun with weeds?

If you're "hopefully" going to erect a greenhouse there why would you want
to till or do anything to disturb the ground... you want the ground as
hard/firm as possible, in fact you want a 6" thick layer of inert porous
material as would be used to construct a paver patio, to raise the area
above grade and then redwood/cedar slatted decking pallets for flooring
inside the greenhouse... greenhouses get wet inside, you don't want to be
walking in muck so you will need good drainage. Your project is really no
different from preping an area to erect a storage shed, only you want even
better drainage because unlike with a storage shed you will be watering
inside, and a more stable base to prevent racking or any glass/acrylic
panels are apt to shatter. And be sure to install a system for lashing that
greenhouse firmly to the ground or first strong wind and you'll have no
greenhouse, and if it blows a distance (which it probably will) you may find
yourself buying your neighbor(s) new vehicles, or have to repair their house
when your greenhouse crashes through their living room picture window... I'd
definitely add that greenhouse to your homeowners liability insurance.
Looks like you wussed out with your vegetable garden... I'm sure when next
year rolls around you'll wuss out again, by then you won't even remember any
stinkin' greenhouse... seems the only gardening you do is with your keyboard
and with whatever fertilizer spews out your head. LOL