Old 06-08-2009, 11:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_4_] Sacha[_4_] is offline

Default hydrangea

"Sacha" wrote
On 2009-08-06 18:28:17 +0100, Evelyn Usher
said:
Just checked up and its full name is Erysimum wallflower

Do you know, that did pass through my mind and straight out the other
side because I could imagine a nursery or gc shortening it to Erys but
it has nothing to do with Hydrangeas, so I do hope you weren't sold it
as such. It's the evergreen wallflower. I don't know Pere Wall, so
wonder if that part of the name is correct, too! I think your best
bet is to ring the place that sold it to you and get its full name
correctly. Possibly one of the best known Erysimums is E Bowles
Mauve.

Ah if Erys was Erysimum then 'Pere Wall' could also be an abbreviation
for Perennial Wallflower. Is it a case of the mixed up labels
phenomenon?

There you go! Do you do crosswords, too?! I should certainly have
recognised that because that's just what it sounds like, a label that
got away. If a Nursery doesn't know what something is, is given an
unidentified cuttiing or is waiting to see what it turns out to be, it
can go into the prop. house with just such a label. In this case, it
sounds as if someone has sold it by mistake so the OP's only recourse
is to go back to the seller and ask what it is, if they know.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com