Old 07-08-2009, 04:21 AM posted to aus.gardens
jules jules is offline

Default When to pick oranges

I used to have a mandarin tree, and my (grown up) daughter is so nuts
about mandis I could get weeks of entertainment out of her by
suggesting, week after week, that she pick one to see how it was. She'd
also eat the sour ones, with fantastic facial expressions, each week
announcing they were better than the week before. Could go on for weeks
like this! She finally got wise to me and told me to taste test them
myself...

terryc wrote:
On Wed, 05 Aug 2009 18:01:51 +0800, Sandra Bodycoat wrote:

Hi

I am in Perth and have a heavily laden navel orange tree, I want to know
how do I know when the fruit is truly ripe. Last year we picked fruit
only to find they looked ripe but were still a bit sour.

When ALL the greeness is gone from the fruit. Look closely. Pick one and
try it for sweetness.