Old 07-08-2009, 05:44 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
gunner gunner is offline

Default Greenhouse prep

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"gunner" wrote:

"Steve Peek" wrote in message

"SteveB" wrote in message
I hopefully am going to put a greenhouse where my current garden ..
errrrrrr......... patch of weeds is now.

What would be the best procedure to till this up, kill and pull all
the
things growing there, and get it in shape so that next year I am not
overrun with weeds?

Steve

I'd mow it as close as possible and cover it with landscape cloth and
mulch.
Steve

Mulch can harbor pests and disease, better to use a gravel over the
cloth
or just a couple of layers of cloth.

But gravel can't feed the soil ecosystem, and in any event, there isn't
anything planted there yet. Even if there were, mulch is an intrinsic
part of organic gardening and conserving water.

You are talking apples and oranges billy. It is called controlled
environment agriculture (CEA) for a reason, hopefully you are not growing in
the ground in a green house. That is a waste of money, use a hoop tunnel for
that. Imagine cleaning up blight or wilt with your soil ecosystem in a green
house.