Old 08-08-2009, 04:37 PM posted to rec.gardens
Frank Frank is offline

Default Ants, still

Paul wrote:
Have been feeding these things now for quite a while. I started with
Terro liquid baits, 1 pack of six. As those were consumed, I used the
empty containers to re-fill with my own mix of 1 part Boric Acid and 3
parts of sugar, mixed with a little water. They love this stuff, however
it hasn't stopped the flow of ants coming to get it. They do seem to go
away for a few days after a week or two, but then are back full force.
Are they not getting it back to the nest, or is it just not effective
enough? Last summer I tried mixing with peanut butter and that didn't
work any better, however they didn't seem as attracted to that as they
are the sugar and water mix. Guess I'm just doomed to have hoards of
ants. At least I can lure, and control, kinda, where they go.

I'm seeing the same problem except ants are diminished and not seeing
any scouts in the house. Worse year I've seen for ants. Been cool
summer up until last week and lots of rain. I thought boric acid was
supposed to kill the nests.