Old 08-08-2009, 02:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Ants, still

Have been feeding these things now for quite a while. I started with Terro
liquid baits, 1 pack of six. As those were consumed, I used the empty
containers to re-fill with my own mix of 1 part Boric Acid and 3 parts of
sugar, mixed with a little water. They love this stuff, however it hasn't
stopped the flow of ants coming to get it. They do seem to go away for a few
days after a week or two, but then are back full force. Are they not getting
it back to the nest, or is it just not effective enough? Last summer I tried
mixing with peanut butter and that didn't work any better, however they
didn't seem as attracted to that as they are the sugar and water mix. Guess
I'm just doomed to have hoards of ants. At least I can lure, and control,
kinda, where they go.

--
Paul O.

Old 08-08-2009, 04:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Paul" wrote in message
Have been feeding these things now for quite a while. I started with Terro
liquid baits, 1 pack of six. As those were consumed, I used the empty
containers to re-fill with my own mix of 1 part Boric Acid and 3 parts of
sugar, mixed with a little water. They love this stuff, however it hasn't
stopped the flow of ants coming to get it. They do seem to go away for a
few days after a week or two, but then are back full force. Are they not
getting it back to the nest, or is it just not effective enough? Last
summer I tried mixing with peanut butter and that didn't work any better,
however they didn't seem as attracted to that as they are the sugar and
water mix. Guess I'm just doomed to have hoards of ants. At least I can
lure, and control, kinda, where they go.

--
Paul O.

Assuming one has low velocity winds and protective grasses and foliage, I've
always used boric acid as is from the bottle. I apply it to the obvious
trails, and to the nest entries if I can find them. I'm in a drought area,
and ant's mounds are not apparent. They moved strictly underground, no
mounds visible.

If you're not in an area of drought consideration, flooding the ants nest
with water will make them move elsewhere. Their new location will be by
their own device, not yours.
--
Dave

Old 08-08-2009, 04:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

Paul wrote:
Have been feeding these things now for quite a while. I started with
Terro liquid baits, 1 pack of six. As those were consumed, I used the
empty containers to re-fill with my own mix of 1 part Boric Acid and 3
parts of sugar, mixed with a little water. They love this stuff, however
it hasn't stopped the flow of ants coming to get it. They do seem to go
away for a few days after a week or two, but then are back full force.
Are they not getting it back to the nest, or is it just not effective
enough? Last summer I tried mixing with peanut butter and that didn't
work any better, however they didn't seem as attracted to that as they
are the sugar and water mix. Guess I'm just doomed to have hoards of
ants. At least I can lure, and control, kinda, where they go.

I'm seeing the same problem except ants are diminished and not seeing
any scouts in the house. Worse year I've seen for ants. Been cool
summer up until last week and lots of rain. I thought boric acid was
supposed to kill the nests.
Old 08-08-2009, 04:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"Grasshopper" NONE wrote:

"Paul" wrote in message
Have been feeding these things now for quite a while. I started with Terro
liquid baits, 1 pack of six. As those were consumed, I used the empty
containers to re-fill with my own mix of 1 part Boric Acid and 3 parts of
sugar, mixed with a little water. They love this stuff, however it hasn't
stopped the flow of ants coming to get it. They do seem to go away for a
few days after a week or two, but then are back full force. Are they not
getting it back to the nest, or is it just not effective enough? Last
summer I tried mixing with peanut butter and that didn't work any better,
however they didn't seem as attracted to that as they are the sugar and
water mix. Guess I'm just doomed to have hoards of ants. At least I can
lure, and control, kinda, where they go.

I use 1 t (teaspoon) powered boric acid to 1/4 cup of sugar. Place in
a cup and they take it back to the nest. I place about 4 in my basement
and it lasts years. Consider Oil of Pennyroyal in the basement a few
drops deters too. 12 drops on the sill in 3 locations where you see
ant sign works here. But and I mean BUT I'd not use in living quarters
as the smell is pleasant at first then becomes cloying.

Please note this is essential oil of pennyroyal aka concentrated keep
off skin etc.

http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/pests/plants.htm

Bill

--

Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Old 08-08-2009, 06:08 PM posted to rec.gardens

--
Paul O.
"Grasshopper" NONE wrote in message
m...
"Paul" wrote in message
[...]

I haven't seen any ant mounds, however they could be under the shed, under
the mobile home, ect, ect. Thanks.

Paul

Old 08-08-2009, 07:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article , "Paul"
wrote:

Have been feeding these things now for quite a while. I started with Terro
liquid baits, 1 pack of six. As those were consumed, I used the empty
containers to re-fill with my own mix of 1 part Boric Acid and 3 parts of
sugar, mixed with a little water. They love this stuff, however it hasn't
stopped the flow of ants coming to get it. They do seem to go away for a few
days after a week or two, but then are back full force. Are they not getting
it back to the nest, or is it just not effective enough? Last summer I tried
mixing with peanut butter and that didn't work any better, however they
didn't seem as attracted to that as they are the sugar and water mix. Guess
I'm just doomed to have hoards of ants. At least I can lure, and control,
kinda, where they go.

Or get a macro lens for your camera and go to http://www.mnh.si.edu/ants/
(a site Bill told me about) for inspiration.
--
Racial injustice, war, urban blight, and environmental rape have a common denominator in our exploitative economic system.*
~Channing E. Phillips

http://tinyurl.com/o63ruj
http://countercurrents.org/roberts020709.htm
Old 08-08-2009, 11:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 8 Aug 2009 06:42:22 -0700, "Paul" wrote:

Have been feeding these things now for quite a while. I started with Terro
liquid baits, 1 pack of six. As those were consumed, I used the empty
containers to re-fill with my own mix of 1 part Boric Acid and 3 parts of
sugar, mixed with a little water. They love this stuff, however it hasn't
stopped the flow of ants coming to get it. They do seem to go away for a few
days after a week or two, but then are back full force. Are they not getting
it back to the nest, or is it just not effective enough? Last summer I tried
mixing with peanut butter and that didn't work any better, however they
didn't seem as attracted to that as they are the sugar and water mix. Guess
I'm just doomed to have hoards of ants. At least I can lure, and control,
kinda, where they go.

The concentration may be too high, try one part boric acid to 18 parts
of sugar. The concentration you are using may kill them before they
have a chance to carry it back to the nest. If the bait doesn't get
back to feed the queen, she will just continue to lay more eggs. Boric
acid is not the same as Borax. Keep on feeding them!

[IMG] code is On

ants,ants, and more ants, AAAARRRRRRGGGG Paul O. Gardening 9 11-08-2008 08:13 PM
ants v Amdro -- ants winning Wayfarer Texas 11 09-04-2003 04:08 PM
Ants, ants and more ants.... Janet Australia 3 05-04-2003 06:36 AM
ants in worm farm Mousie Australia 8 02-04-2003 10:20 AM
Ants, ants and more ants.... Janet Australia 5 29-03-2003 03:32 PM