Old 08-08-2009, 03:34 PM posted to aus.gardens
Sandra Bodycoat Sandra Bodycoat is offline

Default When to pick oranges

No they are definitely navels, and they are ripening.
"Rod" wrote in message

"Sandra Bodycoat" wrote in message
. au...
Hi

I am in Perth and have a heavily laden navel orange tree, I want to know
how do I know when the fruit is truly ripe.
Last year we picked fruit only to find they looked ripe but were still a
bit sour.
Thanks
Sandra

At this time of the year in Perth the navels have just about all gone,
they ripen in June/July and are sweet around that time.

More likely your oranges are Valencias. Good for juicing, not as good
for eating as Navels but still reasonable. I found that mine are still
sour at this time of year and don't "sweeten up" until late August/
September.