Old 10-08-2009, 03:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_2_] Spider[_2_] is offline

Default Killing Acanthus

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
T...
I have two large (becoming very large!) clumps of Acanthus mollis and
would like to return to one, I tried Round up this spring as the new
growth reappered after winter but it had no effect, so then I thought I
would squirt "Round up" down the stems like is done for Japanese knotweed
but this bloody stuff does not have hollow stems (sneaky). So has anyone
every managed to get red of a clump?
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

It's a menace isn't it!? I've still got some Acanthus spinosus to shift,
but we did manage to clear one clump about 4 years ago. I believe the
Husband Thingy used neat glyphosate every hour on the hour for a day or so.
It's an expensive business, this weed-killing process. We're thinking of
getting a mortgage to cover the cost of zapping the remaining clump :~).

I do hope you manage to get rid of it. The great pity is it's such a
handsome plant; part of me still wants to keep some. The garden designers
still wax lyrical about it; they know not what they say.

Spider