Old 10-08-2009, 02:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Killing Acanthus

I have two large (becoming very large!) clumps of Acanthus mollis and
would like to return to one, I tried Round up this spring as the new
growth reappered after winter but it had no effect, so then I thought I
would squirt "Round up" down the stems like is done for Japanese knotweed
but this bloody stuff does not have hollow stems (sneaky). So has anyone
every managed to get red of a clump?
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 10-08-2009, 03:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
T...
I have two large (becoming very large!) clumps of Acanthus mollis and
would like to return to one, I tried Round up this spring as the new
growth reappered after winter but it had no effect, so then I thought I
would squirt "Round up" down the stems like is done for Japanese knotweed
but this bloody stuff does not have hollow stems (sneaky). So has anyone
every managed to get red of a clump?
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Lapageria rosea

It's a menace isn't it!? I've still got some Acanthus spinosus to shift,
but we did manage to clear one clump about 4 years ago. I believe the
Husband Thingy used neat glyphosate every hour on the hour for a day or so.
It's an expensive business, this weed-killing process. We're thinking of
getting a mortgage to cover the cost of zapping the remaining clump :~).

I do hope you manage to get rid of it. The great pity is it's such a
handsome plant; part of me still wants to keep some. The garden designers
still wax lyrical about it; they know not what they say.

Spider

Old 10-08-2009, 04:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 14:49:18 +0100, Charlie Pridham
wrote:

I have two large (becoming very large!) clumps of Acanthus mollis and
would like to return to one, I tried Round up this spring as the new
growth reappered after winter but it had no effect, so then I thought I
would squirt "Round up" down the stems like is done for Japanese knotweed
but this bloody stuff does not have hollow stems (sneaky). So has anyone
every managed to get red of a clump?

Eat me out whilst I sit on your face and I'll tell you.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.cum

Old 11-08-2009, 10:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Jennifer Sparkes wrote:
The message
from Charlie Pridham contains these words:

I have two large (becoming very large!) clumps of Acanthus mollis and
would like to return to one, I tried Round up this spring as the new
growth reappered after winter but it had no effect, so then I thought I
would squirt "Round up" down the stems like is done for Japanese knotweed
but this bloody stuff does not have hollow stems (sneaky). So has anyone
every managed to get red of a clump?

No but please post if you fine the answer!

Yes. I had some, and it got bored with clumping and developed
wanderlust - including into the lawn. Digging it up whereever
possible and pulling/mowing it where not killed it in about
5 years.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , lid
says...

[...]

Thanks all,
If it ever dries up I shall go into battle and report results

Acanthus Kate Morgan United Kingdom 2 01-04-2005 02:23 PM
Germination of Flameleaf acanthus animaux Texas 2 13-01-2004 03:36 AM
white "powder" on acanthus chaz United Kingdom 4 01-06-2003 11:44 PM
Acanthus 'problem' - no longer flowers Surya United Kingdom 3 27-02-2003 02:26 PM
Looking for source of Flame Acanthus Gene Hubert Gardening 3 11-02-2003 03:55 PM