Old 11-08-2009, 03:17 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
gunner gunner is offline

Default Greenhouse prep

"SteveB" wrote in message

"gunner" wrote
I like the dirt idea. My nursery lady says just to add enough amendments

until you get it right, and not many problems.

My nursery told me to add lime and bonemeal, but I got the soil analysis in
first and boy, was she wrong.
Lesson learned, trust science not the lady selling you stuff. get the test
done soonest.

My garden should be there
this coming spring with a few more bales and bags of this and that.

I want maximum yield with minimum digging. I know that's not possible

Yes it is......#5 pro pots, 5 squat pots, 5 gal. buckets, gro-bags... no
digging
hook up drip irrigation and a timer, even better

Temperature is a problem here in summer, as it gets hot.

a couple of 20" box fans and a Patio mister work well, I have panels that I
can take out and put up screen.

Just for a couple of months, but whoo. In the winter, it gets frosty,
down in the twenties, but is nice during the days. Not a long lengthy snow
or cold season.

work out passive solar... Concentrate on the roots,.. heating mats & Old
christmas lights work, Need I say the new LED lights don't? try bubble wrap
for xtra insulation on the inside of the house. A small weber grill and
charcoal will heat up a shed size GH in a pinch.

Don't want to go totally self sustaining, or take on another full time
hard job. Just want to utilize and maximize. Yes, have checked local
sources, co-op, nurseries, etc. Will take soil and have it tested this
next spring.

Just making a plan now.

Steve

every year I work on a new one.