Old 12-08-2009, 04:17 PM
judybby judybby is offline
Registered User

Question Identification: Plant - big, deep purple flowers, flowering now.

I was visiting a public garden last weekend and came across this beautiful plant/shrub. Could you help me identify what it is? It is in flower now and I'd love to have more colour in my garden at this time of year (mid August).
Plant/shrub 4-5 foot tall and 2 foot wide.
Flowering now.
Deep purple flower heads reminding me of a pinepple sage flowerhead in shape, but not colour or size.
Deep glossy green leaves.
2 photos are here.
http://s704.photobucket.com/albums/w...dentification/

I've had a look in my books and through a plant search on Crocus, but no avail.
Thanks in advance from a keen amateur.
Judith