Old 12-08-2009, 04:17 PM
Registered User

Question Identification: Plant - big, deep purple flowers, flowering now.

I was visiting a public garden last weekend and came across this beautiful plant/shrub. Could you help me identify what it is? It is in flower now and I'd love to have more colour in my garden at this time of year (mid August).
Plant/shrub 4-5 foot tall and 2 foot wide.
Flowering now.
Deep purple flower heads reminding me of a pinepple sage flowerhead in shape, but not colour or size.
Deep glossy green leaves.
2 photos are here.
http://s704.photobucket.com/albums/w...dentification/

I've had a look in my books and through a plant search on Crocus, but no avail.
Thanks in advance from a keen amateur.
Judith
Old 12-08-2009, 09:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Identification: Plant - big, deep purple flowers, flowering now.

http://tinyurl.com/l89ahs

I've had a look in my books and through a plant search on Crocus, but
no avail.
Thanks in advance from a keen amateur.
Judith

Whew! When someone has an answer I'll be interested too! Lovely indeed.
If you don't mind my asking, where - as in what part of the world - is
this? It makes identification a bit easier if we don't have to guess ;-)

--
slywlf

Catskills NY zone 5
Old 12-08-2009, 10:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Aug 12, 8:17 am, judybby
wrote:
I was visiting a public garden last weekend and came across this
beautiful plant/shrub. Could you help me identify what it is? It is in
flower now and I'd love to have more colour in my garden at this time
of year (mid August).
Plant/shrub 4-5 foot tall and 2 foot wide.
Flowering now.
Deep purple flower heads reminding me of a pinepple sage flowerhead in
shape, but not colour or size.
Deep glossy green leaves.
2 photos are here.http://tinyurl.com/l89ahs

I've had a look in my books and through a plant search on Crocus, but
no avail.
Thanks in advance from a keen amateur.
Judith

--
judybby

Judy
Although the blooms look deep blue to me it could be
one of the Salvia guaranitica varieties
There are several: Argentine Skies, Black and Blue, Blue Ensign,
Purple Ensign
google Salvia guaranitica and you will find several photos to compare.
Emilie
Old 13-08-2009, 12:38 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 14:54:45 -0700 (PDT), mleblanca
wrote:

On Aug 12, 8:17 am, judybby
wrote:
[...]

It looks like asiatic daylily to me. They're in full bloom in middle
TN right now. I'm going by the second picture.

Kate - could be wrong
Old 13-08-2009, 05:37 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 8/12/09 7:38 PM, in article ,
" wrote:

On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 14:54:45 -0700 (PDT), mleblanca
wrote:

On Aug 12, 8:17 am, judybby
wrote:
[...]

Daylilies are not blue - and the leaves are all wrong

Old 13-08-2009, 06:01 AM posted to rec.gardens
Val Val is offline

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
I'm leaning toward salvia as well - I have a gift plant that is a hardy
salvia that has that shiny leaf.

Maybe its a tropical...

It is salvia. I had a big clump like that in my old garden (zone 8). The
hummingbirds loved it. About every three years or so I'd chop it into 3-4
pieces, give away all but one hunk to be replanted. It was a lovely
indestructible.

Val

Old 13-08-2009, 06:16 AM posted to rec.gardens
Val Val is offline

"Val" wrote in message

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
I'm leaning toward salvia as well - I have a gift plant that is a hardy
salvia that has that shiny leaf.

Maybe its a tropical...

It is salvia. I had a big clump like that in my old garden (zone 8). The
hummingbirds loved it. About every three years or so I'd chop it into 3-4
pieces, give away all but one hunk to be replanted. It was a lovely
indestructible.

Val

I should also add that I moved from that house in the eighties after living
there for over 15 years. The salvia was more than well established ( I tamed
the beast with hedge clippers, a pick ax and shovel ) when I bought the
house so I would assume it's an older variety. The people I bought the house
from had lived there for 50+ years.

Val

Old 13-08-2009, 09:21 AM
Registered User

Smile

Thanks for all of your replies. I have had a look at all of the suggestions and am certain it is a Salvia guaranitica. Possibly Salvia guaranitica (Blue Enigma). I already have some hardy and half hardy salvias in my garden, so no wonder I was drawn to it. Just googling now has opened my eyes to the varieties.

I forgot to tell you where I was in the world when I spotted it - the beautiful county of Shropshire in the south of England.
Old 13-08-2009, 12:09 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 8/13/09 1:01 AM, in article , "Val"
wrote:

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
I'm leaning toward salvia as well - I have a gift plant that is a hardy
salvia that has that shiny leaf.

Maybe its a tropical...

It is salvia. I had a big clump like that in my old garden (zone 8). The
hummingbirds loved it. About every three years or so I'd chop it into 3-4
pieces, give away all but one hunk to be replanted. It was a lovely
indestructible.

Val

Do recall which one it was. There are only a few I can grow in my zone 5
garden and have live. (them winter winds really scour the long bed)

Cheryl

Old 13-08-2009, 12:25 PM posted to rec.gardens
Val Val is offline

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message

Do recall which one it was. There are only a few I can grow in my zone 5
garden and have live. (them winter winds really scour the long bed)

Cheryl

I don't know which one it was, Cheryl. I took a blossom stem to a nursery to
have it identified since I'd never seen a blue salvia at that time. All they
told me was that it was a salvia.

Val

Old 13-08-2009, 01:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 00:37:59 -0400, Cheryl Isaak
wrote:

On 8/12/09 7:38 PM, in article ,
" wrote:

On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 14:54:45 -0700 (PDT), mleblanca
wrote:

On Aug 12, 8:17 am, judybby
wrote:
[...]

This is the plant I think of as an asiatic daylily

http://tinyurl.com/nou6jn
Old 13-08-2009, 02:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 8/13/09 7:25 AM, in article , "Val"
wrote:

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message

Do recall which one it was. There are only a few I can grow in my zone 5
garden and have live. (them winter winds really scour the long bed)

Cheryl

I don't know which one it was, Cheryl. I took a blossom stem to a nursery to
have it identified since I'd never seen a blue salvia at that time. All they
told me was that it was a salvia.

Val

I know how that goes. I wish salvia were a touch hardier, I love the blue

Thanks Val

Cheryl

Old 13-08-2009, 02:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 8/13/09 8:44 AM, in article ,
" wrote:

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 00:37:59 -0400, Cheryl Isaak
wrote:

On 8/12/09 7:38 PM, in article
,
" wrote:

On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 14:54:45 -0700 (PDT), mleblanca
wrote:

On Aug 12, 8:17 am, judybby
wrote:
[...]

That's a spiderwort - not a lily of any sort. Daylilies are hemorcallis.

Old 13-08-2009, 02:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

In message , Cheryl Isaak
writes
On 8/13/09 8:44 AM, in article ,
" wrote:

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 00:37:59 -0400, Cheryl Isaak
wrote:

On 8/12/09 7:38 PM, in article
,
" wrote:

On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 14:54:45 -0700 (PDT), mleblanca
wrote:

On Aug 12, 8:17 am, judybby
wrote:
[...]

It's arguable as to whether that is a spiderwort, spiderwort is
commonly understood as Tradescantia which has actinomorphic flowers,
rather than the zygomorphic flowers shown. The plant shown is probably
Commelina communis, which goes by the name oriental day*flower*.
(Wikipedia is our friend.)

For ease of googling, I'll mention that day-lilies are Hemerocallis.

Stewart Robert Hinsley