Old 12-08-2009, 07:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
PhoenixWench PhoenixWench is offline

Default harvesting kohlrabi

Hi - I have gardened for years, but this was my first time growing
kohlrabi. I did it on a whim really - and I believe I left them too
long. Is there any sort of rule as to when to harvest the globes? Is
there a point past which they are inedible?

Mine are now about the size of softballs, or 5" across. One developed a
split, which might just be due to the unprecedentedly rainy cool
spring/summer, but might be a sign of being past prime.

I am in the NY Catskills, zone 5 according to the Arbor Day mapping site.

Any guidelines would be appreciated so I can do better next year.
Thanks!
--

slywlf