Old 12-08-2009, 07:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default harvesting kohlrabi

Hi - I have gardened for years, but this was my first time growing
kohlrabi. I did it on a whim really - and I believe I left them too
long. Is there any sort of rule as to when to harvest the globes? Is
there a point past which they are inedible?

Mine are now about the size of softballs, or 5" across. One developed a
split, which might just be due to the unprecedentedly rainy cool
spring/summer, but might be a sign of being past prime.

I am in the NY Catskills, zone 5 according to the Arbor Day mapping site.

Any guidelines would be appreciated so I can do better next year.
Thanks!
--

slywlf
Old 13-08-2009, 01:38 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

PhoenixWench wrote:
Hi - I have gardened for years, but this was my first time growing
kohlrabi. I did it on a whim really - and I believe I left them too
long. Is there any sort of rule as to when to harvest the globes? Is
there a point past which they are inedible?

Mine are now about the size of softballs, or 5" across. One developed
a split, which might just be due to the unprecedentedly rainy cool
spring/summer, but might be a sign of being past prime.

I am in the NY Catskills, zone 5 according to the Arbor Day mapping
site.
Any guidelines would be appreciated so I can do better next year.
Thanks!

Harvest them earlier about tennis ball size. You will get less vege but it
will be nicer. Later they get fibrous and subject to rotting.

David

Old 13-08-2009, 11:36 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

PhoenixWench said:

Hi - I have gardened for years, but this was my first time growing
kohlrabi. I did it on a whim really - and I believe I left them too
long. Is there any sort of rule as to when to harvest the globes? Is
there a point past which they are inedible?

Mine are now about the size of softballs, or 5" across.

I've been growing a variety which is supposed to grow that big,
but most types are harvested when they reach the size of an orange
rather than that of a grapefruit.

When they are past ideal size, they tend to get stringy at the surface
and near the stem end. You should be able to pare away the stringy
part and have something left.

One developed a
split, which might just be due to the unprecedentedly rainy cool
spring/summer, but might be a sign of being past prime.

My experience is that like tomatoes and melons, they can split
after a heavy rain. As long as rain doesn't collect in the cracks
and rot them, the split kohlrabis can still be used. They just need
a bit more peeling.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"So, it was all a dream."
"No dear, this is the dream, you're still in the cell."

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 14-08-2009, 04:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Pat Kiewicz wrote:
PhoenixWench said:

[...]

Thanks! Harvesting them now, and will remember for next year ;-)

--

slywlf