Old 14-08-2009, 11:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
wafflycat wafflycat is offline

Default pollination of runner beans

"K" wrote in message
I have a tub of mixed runner beans and french beans. This afternoon I had
that remarkably rare beast, a honey bee, around the tub. It was giving all
its attention to the white flowered french bean and ignoring the red
flowered runner bean. That's not particularly surprising - most of the bee
pollinated flowers seem to be in shades of pink and pinky-blue, which is
why so many of our flowers are that colour and so few are bright orange or
bright red. But that left me wondering - do white flowered runner beans set
better than red flowered?
--
Kay

Bees of various kinds visiting and pollinating my beans of all types in
large numbers. This is good