Old 15-08-2009, 11:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jim Jackson Jim Jackson is offline

Default Picking blackcurrants?

Martin wrote:
On Sat, 01 Aug 2009 10:39:36 +0100, mogga wrote:

My dad reckons you should just cut the branch off and sit in the house
and remove the berries whilst sat comfortably... is this a good idea?

Yes. It is exactly what we do.

I've heard this advised. But I'd have hardly any branches left if I cut
out all branches with fruit on. You can get 2 years good fruiting from a
branch.

What sort of crop do you get per bush with your regime, martin? I've been
averaging between 7 to 10 lbs per bush for the last 15 years on mine.

Just curious.