Old 16-08-2009, 05:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default Pelargoniums not flowering

Bob Hobden writes

I don't know pelargonium types. But I have one with soft round leaves with
black marks and lurid pink flowers, and that is flowering its socks off.

A Zonal Pel from the description and the easiest to flower, in fact it's
difficult to stop them. :-)

I don't think the daddy has stopped, summer or winter, for the last five
years ;-)

But two of the sort of crisp leaf type, Voodoo and Lord Bute, are not
flowering at all well. I've had a few flowers on Voodoo, but Lord Bute
hasn't produced a single flower, while still otherwise looking green and
healthy.

Voodoo is a "Unique " Pel and should flower through the summer, on and off,
I found they tended to flower and rest, flower and rest

That would about describe it. It's resting at the moment.
It's a lovely flower, but the plant itself is very straggly.

etc........throughout the growing season.
Lord Bute, on of my favourites, is a "Regal" Pel and should also flower
through the summer. It will not be as floriferous as a zonal (but classier
IMO) and the flowers get easily damaged by rain especially if you don't use
the right fertilizer.

Both these types are more difficult than the usual Zonals, they retain their
liking for a free draining compost (John Innes 1 with added sand) and can
cope with drought better than overwatering.

Maybe it's been too wet. I have it outside at the moment. It's not
working hard enough to merit a place in the porch ;-)

They have a requirement for more potassium than the other types of pels, so
use a Tomato fertilizer on them only.

I tend only to use tomato fertiliser anyway, since I don't have enough
plants to be stocking a different fertiliser each. I've grown Lord Bute
before (several years ago), and found it no trouble. I think I'll just
assume it's been too wet, and act accordingly. Thanks for the advice :-)

--
Kay