Old 15-08-2009, 11:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default Pelargoniums not flowering

I don't know pelargonium types. But I have one with soft round leaves
with black marks and lurid pink flowers, and that is flowering its socks
off.

But two of the sort of crisp leaf type, Voodoo and Lord Bute, are not
flowering at all well. I've had a few flowers on Voodoo, but Lord Bute
hasn't produced a single flower, while still otherwise looking green and
healthy.

Anyone else had problems this year?
--
Kay
Old 16-08-2009, 09:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 15 Aug 2009, K wrote
I don't know pelargonium types. But I have one with soft round leaves
with black marks and lurid pink flowers, and that is flowering its
socks off.

But two of the sort of crisp leaf type, Voodoo and Lord Bute, are not
flowering at all well. I've had a few flowers on Voodoo, but Lord Bute
hasn't produced a single flower, while still otherwise looking green
and healthy.

Anyone else had problems this year?

yes - I have common-or-garden salmon pink and red ones. The salmon pink
ones are fine, but the red ones took ages to start flowering and are
oddly sparse. One red pot is in too much shade, but the other has no
excuse.

--
Kate B

PS 'elvira' is spamtrapped - please reply to 'elviraspam' at cockaigne dot org dot uk if you
want to reply personally
Old 16-08-2009, 05:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote
I don't know pelargonium types. But I have one with soft round leaves with
black marks and lurid pink flowers, and that is flowering its socks off.

A Zonal Pel from the description and the easiest to flower, in fact it's
difficult to stop them. :-)

But two of the sort of crisp leaf type, Voodoo and Lord Bute, are not
flowering at all well. I've had a few flowers on Voodoo, but Lord Bute
hasn't produced a single flower, while still otherwise looking green and
healthy.

Voodoo is a "Unique " Pel and should flower through the summer, on and off,
I found they tended to flower and rest, flower and rest
etc........throughout the growing season.
Lord Bute, on of my favourites, is a "Regal" Pel and should also flower
through the summer. It will not be as floriferous as a zonal (but classier
IMO) and the flowers get easily damaged by rain especially if you don't use
the right fertilizer.

Both these types are more difficult than the usual Zonals, they retain their
liking for a free draining compost (John Innes 1 with added sand) and can
cope with drought better than overwatering.
They have a requirement for more potassium than the other types of pels, so
use a Tomato fertilizer on them only.

Anyone else had problems this year?

No, but now I don't grow any other pels than the old zonal "Mrs Doris
Moore".

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 16-08-2009, 05:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Bob Hobden writes

I don't know pelargonium types. But I have one with soft round leaves with
black marks and lurid pink flowers, and that is flowering its socks off.

A Zonal Pel from the description and the easiest to flower, in fact it's
difficult to stop them. :-)

I don't think the daddy has stopped, summer or winter, for the last five
years ;-)

But two of the sort of crisp leaf type, Voodoo and Lord Bute, are not
flowering at all well. I've had a few flowers on Voodoo, but Lord Bute
hasn't produced a single flower, while still otherwise looking green and
healthy.

Voodoo is a "Unique " Pel and should flower through the summer, on and off,
I found they tended to flower and rest, flower and rest

That would about describe it. It's resting at the moment.
It's a lovely flower, but the plant itself is very straggly.

etc........throughout the growing season.
Lord Bute, on of my favourites, is a "Regal" Pel and should also flower
through the summer. It will not be as floriferous as a zonal (but classier
IMO) and the flowers get easily damaged by rain especially if you don't use
the right fertilizer.

Both these types are more difficult than the usual Zonals, they retain their
liking for a free draining compost (John Innes 1 with added sand) and can
cope with drought better than overwatering.

Maybe it's been too wet. I have it outside at the moment. It's not
working hard enough to merit a place in the porch ;-)

They have a requirement for more potassium than the other types of pels, so
use a Tomato fertilizer on them only.

I tend only to use tomato fertiliser anyway, since I don't have enough
plants to be stocking a different fertiliser each. I've grown Lord Bute
before (several years ago), and found it no trouble. I think I'll just
assume it's been too wet, and act accordingly. Thanks for the advice :-)

--
Kay
Old 17-08-2009, 01:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , K
writes

but Lord Bute hasn't produced a single flower, while still otherwise
looking green and healthy.

Anyone else had problems this year?

I gave up on Lord Bute Kay as i found there was far more leaf than
flower even at it's most floriferous!

Janet

--
Janet Tweedy