Old 16-08-2009, 10:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Composting old raspberry canes?

mogga wrote:
Should you compost the old canes you prune out?

No reason why not. Although I tend to burn mine. One year we had the
fire brigade turn up to see where the "big" fire was. When they arrived
there was just a small innocent looking pile of white ash.

Fruit trees and bushes like a high potash feed so if you can burn them
without annoying the neighbours it is another way to use them.

I would put them on my compost heap but at this time of year space is
limited and things that are bone dry already have to be burnt.

Regards,
Martin Brown