Old 15-08-2009, 11:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Composting old raspberry canes?

Should you compost the old canes you prune out?
--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk
Old 15-08-2009, 11:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , mogga
writes
Should you compost the old canes you prune out?

I put them through a shredder, and the result gets added to the mulch
for paths. But I don't see any reason why you shouldn't compost them,
though shredding them first seems a good idea.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 15-08-2009, 11:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mogga" wrote in message
Should you compost the old canes you prune out?

why not? cut them up small, everything goes into mine, except ground elder
and bindweed...

Old 15-08-2009, 12:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Sheila wrote:

"mogga" wrote in message
.. .
Should you compost the old canes you prune out?

why not? cut them up small, everything goes into mine, except ground elder
and bindweed...

They go into mine, and have have never had them regrow in 30 years.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 16-08-2009, 10:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

mogga wrote:
Should you compost the old canes you prune out?

No reason why not. Although I tend to burn mine. One year we had the
fire brigade turn up to see where the "big" fire was. When they arrived
there was just a small innocent looking pile of white ash.

Fruit trees and bushes like a high potash feed so if you can burn them
without annoying the neighbours it is another way to use them.

I would put them on my compost heap but at this time of year space is
limited and things that are bone dry already have to be burnt.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Can 'dead' raspberry canes be revived? Miss Perspicacia Tick United Kingdom 5 23-02-2005 10:51 PM
Raspberry Canes Kim Bewick United Kingdom 1 07-03-2004 01:06 PM
raspberry canes R United Kingdom 10 10-04-2003 08:44 AM
Raspberry canes John Cotterill United Kingdom 1 14-01-2003 10:24 PM
Moving raspberry canes Jo United Kingdom 2 24-11-2002 01:35 PM