Old 18-08-2009, 12:54 AM posted to rec.gardens
Brandy[_2_] Brandy[_2_] is offline

Default Question

On Aug 9, 9:44*pm, Cheryl Isaak wrote:
On 8/9/09 6:12 PM, in article ,

"Phisherman" wrote:
On Sun, 9 Aug 2009 11:20:38 -0700 (PDT), Brandy
wrote:

Hey Everyone,
I have been seeing someone by the name of Smile Champ posting messages
about his newMr.Sifter. Has any one tried it or checked it out? I
just wanted an opinion of what everyone else thought before thinking
about getting one for myself.

It is so easy and inexpensive to make a custom screen, why buy one? *I
made one from 2x4s and 1/2" hardware cloth. *Used rabbet-jointed
corners, wood-glued, and nailed thin strips of wood over the hardware
cloth edges. *I used an oil finish. *It is going on its 15th year of
heavy use. *No rust, but I store it in the garage. *You may want to
make more than one with different size hardware cloth. *Mysifter
dimensions were determined on how it rests on top of the wheelbarrow.
Use galvanized or SS nails. * Butt joints can be used if you reinforce
the corners with metal shelf brackets. *Sifting compost through this
siftermakes fluffy gardener's black gold.

Love mine to pieces. The 1/4 inch hardware cloth might have been overkill,
but I don't know that I care too much.

Cheryl- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for everyone's advice!