Old 18-08-2009, 10:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
bm bm is offline

Default Plums- When to pick?

"Spider" wrote in message

"bm" wrote in message
In previous years I have tried to keep the wasp menace down by using jars
containing beer and with a cover which is punched to let the wasps in but
not out. I caught hundreds of wasps but my plums were still largely
eaten.
Is there a time before they ripen for me to pick them and ripen them
indoors ?
Blair

The wasps (and squirrels) are taking an interest in mine. I've been able
to pick a few ripe ones (Victoria, btw) and some semi-ripe, but I find
greenish ones picked early - although they do ripen - don't develop the
same flavour.

Just try picking a few and see how you get on.

Thanks for your advice.
Blair

Spider