Old 17-08-2009, 04:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
bm bm is offline

Default Plums- When to pick?

In previous years I have tried to keep the wasp menace down by using jars
containing beer and with a cover which is punched to let the wasps in but
not out. I caught hundreds of wasps but my plums were still largely eaten.
Is there a time before they ripen for me to pick them and ripen them indoors
?
Blair

Old 17-08-2009, 08:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"bm" wrote in message
In previous years I have tried to keep the wasp menace down by using jars
containing beer and with a cover which is punched to let the wasps in but
not out. I caught hundreds of wasps but my plums were still largely eaten.
Is there a time before they ripen for me to pick them and ripen them
indoors ?
Blair

The wasps (and squirrels) are taking an interest in mine. I've been able to
pick a few ripe ones (Victoria, btw) and some semi-ripe, but I find greenish
ones picked early - although they do ripen - don't develop the same
flavour.

Just try picking a few and see how you get on.

Spider

Old 18-08-2009, 10:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
bm bm is offline

"Spider" wrote in message

"bm" wrote in message
In previous years I have tried to keep the wasp menace down by using jars
containing beer and with a cover which is punched to let the wasps in but
not out. I caught hundreds of wasps but my plums were still largely
eaten.
Is there a time before they ripen for me to pick them and ripen them
indoors ?
Blair

The wasps (and squirrels) are taking an interest in mine. I've been able
to pick a few ripe ones (Victoria, btw) and some semi-ripe, but I find
greenish ones picked early - although they do ripen - don't develop the
same flavour.

Just try picking a few and see how you get on.

Thanks for your advice.
Blair

Spider

Protecting Plums Jim Gardening 3 24-05-2003 10:20 PM
No plums? Bob United Kingdom 2 18-04-2003 03:56 AM
flowering plums - when to limb up? GB Gardening 0 03-03-2003 11:04 PM
Plums TheS United Kingdom 5 24-02-2003 09:03 PM
Plums A Davis United Kingdom 2 21-02-2003 05:32 AM