Old 18-08-2009, 04:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default not a Geum (ping Kay)

Stewart Robert Hinsley writes
I was asking about a plant that I'd seen in a garden a while back. It
was suggested that it was a white form of Geum rivale. Kay convinced me
that it wasn't, but I was still willing to consider the possibility of
another species or hybrid of Geum. Kay also found what she thought was
the same growing wild on limestone in Yorkshire.

Except that mine *was* Geum rivale, just a different form, growing in an
open rather than shaded habitat. (I don't know what colour the flowers
were, but I did have the fruits)

On Sunday I revisited the garden, and found the plant in fruit. It has
fleshy fruits, and is obviously not a Geum. Related plants with fleshy
fruits are Fragaria and Rubus, but I don't find a good match in either
genus.

Rubus saxatilis Stone bramble, though the petals are too wide for that.
Otherwise - a Swedish member of urg gave me a similar Rubus species,
which unfortunately I no longer have, which may have been stone bramble
or may have been something else. She told me it was used for jam in
Sweden
--
Kay