Old 16-04-2003, 08:32 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default blackberries

In article ,
VivienB wrote:
On 16 Apr 2003 14:33:11 GMT, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:

Boggle. Why not just dig them up? They are very shallow rooted,
and most ones that grow in the UK don't regrow from their roots.
You can then glyphosate anything that escapes or reshoots.

The brambles we have here definitely do regrow from their roots, as I
know of a number of places in this garden where I have repeatedly
tried to dig them out. Perhaps you mean from broken pieces of root?

No, I meant what I said. The most common species of bramble tip in
and do not sucker, though I believe that the suckering species may
become the more common in the north. Which doesn't contradict what
you said.

While I agree brambles are shallow rooted, sometimes they manage to
root in places where it is not possible to get a fork under them to
get them out properly.

That is why I agree that you need to glyphosate the ones that escape
(as well as the regrowing suckers). But, generally, it is easier to
dig out brambles in the UK than glyphosate them by hand. The easiest
solution for large areas is to cut them down to ground level, and
then glyphosate the shoots. But that wasn't what the poster was
suggesting.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.