Old 19-08-2009, 02:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
mark mark is offline

Default Compost bargain.

"David in Normandy" wrote in message
Bob Hobden wrote:

That's expensive! Especially for a product of unknown quality.

A problem with such compost can be weed seeds and sometimes diseases. It
depends on how well all of the source matter has been composted. I've
bought cheap bags of such compost and got more plants coming up than I
bargained for! Also it tends to go very mouldy in the bag - don't know if
this is due to the compost being too moist or incomplete composting
process though. Maybe not a good idea to use for seeds or delicate
seedlings.

I tend to use the cheap compost mixed with garden soil (mole hills) to
produce a mix that is ideal for potting on larger plants or growing
tomatoes in.

From what I've seen, it was almost black, very friable and quite dry.
Looked good.
I would have thought that by sheer volume of material in the process the
heat generated would sterilise most seeds, more so than home made stuff.
I have no direct experience so cannot say for sure. Next spring, I'll be
there with my trailer and will find out.

mark