Old 19-08-2009, 11:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Compost bargain.

I've just discovered that near to my local recycling centre is a place that
takes all the green waste, turns it into compost and sells it back to anyone
who wants it. No signs or adverts whatsoever, I only found out through
asking what happens to it all.
The cost is £2 per bag or at a £12 a tonne, pro rata. They have a
weighbridge. So I think I could get a trailer load for £3. Might be worth
checking out your local recycling centre if you are a bulk compost user.

Anyone with any idea what volume a tonne of non-compacted compost would be?

mark

Old 19-08-2009, 11:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mark" wrote in message
o.uk...
I've just discovered that near to my local recycling centre is a place
that takes all the green waste, turns it into compost and sells it back to
anyone who wants it. No signs or adverts whatsoever, I only found out
through asking what happens to it all.
The cost is £2 per bag or at a £12 a tonne, pro rata. They have a
weighbridge. So I think I could get a trailer load for £3. Might be worth
checking out your local recycling centre if you are a bulk compost user.

Anyone with any idea what volume a tonne of non-compacted compost would
be?

mark

Ours do the 1 tonne builders bag which is 1 metre cube, delivered for £35.00

--
Mike

www.rneba.org.uk
www.shanklinmanormews.co.uk

Old 19-08-2009, 01:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote
"mark" wrote ...
I've just discovered that near to my local recycling centre is a place
that takes all the green waste, turns it into compost and sells it back
to anyone who wants it. No signs or adverts whatsoever, I only found out
through asking what happens to it all.
The cost is £2 per bag or at a £12 a tonne, pro rata. They have a
weighbridge. So I think I could get a trailer load for £3. Might be
worth checking out your local recycling centre if you are a bulk compost
user.

Anyone with any idea what volume a tonne of non-compacted compost would
be?

Ours do the 1 tonne builders bag which is 1 metre cube, delivered for
£35.00

That's expensive! Especially for a product of unknown quality.
We get a tipper trailer load, probably two or three cubic metres of one year
old + Horse manure delivered for £12.00.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 19-08-2009, 01:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:

That's expensive! Especially for a product of unknown quality.

A problem with such compost can be weed seeds and sometimes diseases. It
depends on how well all of the source matter has been composted. I've
bought cheap bags of such compost and got more plants coming up than I
bargained for! Also it tends to go very mouldy in the bag - don't know
if this is due to the compost being too moist or incomplete composting
process though. Maybe not a good idea to use for seeds or delicate
seedlings.

I tend to use the cheap compost mixed with garden soil (mole hills) to
produce a mix that is ideal for potting on larger plants or growing
tomatoes in.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 19-08-2009, 02:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David in Normandy" wrote in message
Bob Hobden wrote:

That's expensive! Especially for a product of unknown quality.

A problem with such compost can be weed seeds and sometimes diseases. It
depends on how well all of the source matter has been composted. I've
bought cheap bags of such compost and got more plants coming up than I
bargained for! Also it tends to go very mouldy in the bag - don't know if
this is due to the compost being too moist or incomplete composting
process though. Maybe not a good idea to use for seeds or delicate
seedlings.

I tend to use the cheap compost mixed with garden soil (mole hills) to
produce a mix that is ideal for potting on larger plants or growing
tomatoes in.

From what I've seen, it was almost black, very friable and quite dry.
Looked good.
I would have thought that by sheer volume of material in the process the
heat generated would sterilise most seeds, more so than home made stuff.
I have no direct experience so cannot say for sure. Next spring, I'll be
there with my trailer and will find out.

mark

Old 19-08-2009, 04:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 19 Aug 2009 11:15:44 +0100, "mark"
wrote:

I've just discovered that near to my local recycling centre is a place that
takes all the green waste, turns it into compost and sells it back to anyone
who wants it. No signs or adverts whatsoever, I only found out through
asking what happens to it all.
The cost is £2 per bag or at a £12 a tonne, pro rata. They have a
weighbridge. So I think I could get a trailer load for £3. Might be worth
checking out your local recycling centre if you are a bulk compost user.

Anyone with any idea what volume a tonne of non-compacted compost would be?

Mark, you don't say where you are in the country. We have a company
which sells the council compost at £3.50, so I don't buy it, though it
looks good stuff. However, a friend who lives in Weymouth can bag up
as much as she wants FREE when she takes compostable material to the
tip.

Pam in Bristol
Old 19-08-2009, 05:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

I'm in Norfolk. £3.50 for how much?
I've done some online research and it seems that 'council compost' has to
meet strict standards:-

"
The average bulk density of compost is approximately 2 m3 per tonne.

The compost is produced to strict BSI PAS 100 2005 criteria, all feedstock
is visually checked prior to shredding, small amounts of paper / card will
compost the same as green materials. Screening of the final product removes
any remaining contamination. Compost meets all the requirements of both the
Soil and Composting Associations and is suitable for use on 'organic'
establishments.

The composting process is monitored to ensure that a minimum temperature of
55oC is maintained for a minimum period of 14 consecutive days. This
eliminates all pathogens and any extraneous seed growth.

"

mark

Old 19-08-2009, 10:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

o.uk...

Bob Hobden wrote:

That's expensive! Especially for a product of unknown quality.

A problem with such compost can be weed seeds and sometimes diseases. It
depends on how well all of the source matter has been composted. I've
bought cheap bags of such compost and got more plants coming up than I
bargained for! Also it tends to go very mouldy in the bag - don't know if
this is due to the compost being too moist or incomplete composting
process though. Maybe not a good idea to use for seeds or delicate
seedlings.

I tend to use the cheap compost mixed with garden soil (mole hills) to
produce a mix that is ideal for potting on larger plants or growing
tomatoes in.

From what I've seen, it was almost black, very friable and quite dry.
Looked good.
I would have thought that by sheer volume of material in the process the
heat generated would sterilise most seeds, more so than home made stuff.
I have no direct experience so cannot say for sure. Next spring, I'll be
there with my trailer and will find out.

This is my local such place -

http://www.thisiseco.co.uk/

They sell most products by the cu m, and every morning they do a test
weighing so they can convert volume to mass and get it right at the
weighbridge.

Steve

Old 21-08-2009, 07:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 19 Aug 2009 13:15:53 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"'Mike'" wrote
"mark" wrote ...
[...]

We're not allowed manure on our allotment site.
Cos of that herbicide thing.
--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk