Old 16-04-2003, 08:44 PM
Allegra

Default Purple or Lavendar Roses

"purpleme" wrote in message
Do they exist? I have looked online and everything I've found under

purple
is really more a mauve. I want something that's a true shade of purple...
TIA

For climbers that are not lavender but truly violet
you can check Veilchenblau and Violette both of which
are more in the "bluish" side of the spectrum than in the
mauve. With colder winters and cooler summers most
violets stay pretty close to the purples. I have finally and
certainly identified our lavender one as Leila Verde and
because it is so fragrant it gets to stay, although lavender
roses are not particularly known for their strength. Florence
DeLattre planted in front of Reine des Violettes shows the
difference between what I call "violet" or purple versus the
deep magenta of its blossoms as FDL has a gray lavender
of Victorian mourning, but I truly believe that weather and
sun exposure are a tremendous and influential factor when
it comes to the color of these roses.

Allegra