Old 16-04-2003, 08:44 PM
Allegra

Default If Not E. Veyrat Hermanos, What?

"Cass" questioned:

Are the flowers this large? 3 to 3-1/2" ? And the leaves? I only saw it
growing once, I think, and I was surprised at the foliage. But I don't
remember why. Heh heh. You can just feel the mildew about to bust out
on this one, eh?

http://home.attbi.com/~cassbernstein.../PinkTones.jpg

Depending on how cool the weather is it can appear
to have here and there a touch of pink, but what I really think that
happens there is that somehow due to climate or soil it has somehow
picked up a recessive gene from either one of the once removed
parents or grandparents and acquired that tinge of pink. What is the
fragrance? To my nose anyway if not all, the majority of the Gervais
smell of apples. Not the leaves but the fruity scent of an apple when
it hits your nose after you take the first bite.

Definite fragrance. Reminds me of cutex nail polish remover - which I
associate with all noisettes.

I interpreted their comment about "wild rose" to mean once blooming
after I had a moment to reflect on it. I'm going back to ask someone.
There's a drive-thru espresso place right there (the source of the
green umbrella), and the video guy told me the espresso folks "take
care of" the rose. I drove by that video store for the 8 years I
communted to the city, and I don't remember seeing it repeat...but
maybe I wasn't looking.

and in response to my suggestion to look up municipal records

Grumble grumble grumble I have a real bee in my bonnet about the County
Recorder's office, so unhelpful, such lousy hours, such sycophants,
such bad attitudes.

But Cass dear, what is the matter? Don't you believe the standard political
slogan "rich white men working for you"? What attitudes? I have never
noticed any attitude when sitting ignored for hours waiting for someone who
may stop-and then again may not- speaking on the phone with whomever
while I contemplated my tax dollars at work. Attitude? They didn't give me
even that. That would have been an acknowledgment that a breathing tax payer
was standing there within shouting distance. Nope. Not even that. That is
why the library or the hysterical societies are usually more helpful.
"Usually" is the classifier here.

So you tell me ....
Apple green foliage, tender. 3 and 5-leave leaflets, no 7's. Terminal
leaf much larger than the other 4. One or two tiny prickles on the back
of the petiole. Rather small stipules, no fringes on the sides. 80+
petals, counting petaloids. Rather small receptacle, only about 1.5 cm
tall, .75 cm wide. Lots of sulfur yellow in the petals once removed.
Sepals mostly smooth with a single tiny fringe on 2 of the 5.

A new pictu

http://home.attbi.com/~cassbernstein...fletRecept.jpg

Don't you just love a mystery? She who does....

I do...You saw the whole page of pix, I trust:
http://home.attbi.com/~cassbernstein...s/TamGlow.html

No I did not, because I was writing from the coast and I guess attbi
or whoever the heck was adding dollars by the nanosecond into my
credit card also decided what and what not to download. I did not see
the whole page until now. It has all the makings of Leontine Gervais
and yet....Gloire de Dijon is more buff than yellow, the richness of
the color and the cup are different to my eye. Did you get my email
about the other possibility? After suggesting it I seem to remember that
it only has about 35 to 45 petals max. So that may leave it out.
I am still troubled by the foliage. It is opaque and apple green, is that
so? I need to spend some time with my books and my notes from my
old garden, I may find something useful there.

At any rate, it is a beaut. Don't mind the wait, I just want to know how
it got there, and most importantly, how did it survive the construction of
that place? There is a story there somewhere that may help, but there
is time if nothing else. Check it for mildew the next time you are about.
That may be another clue. If resistant, well...then I am flying down to
get some cuttings myself ;)

Allegra
that with BH is declaring war on the damn fungi that are trying to set
their butts on the roses.