Old 23-08-2009, 09:35 PM posted to rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Rhododendrons slow growing?

"epack" wrote in message
My husband planted a small (about 8-10 inches)rhodie last April in a
woodsy spot that gets lots of morning sun, but mainly mottled sun at best,
the rest of the day. While it seems to be doing OK, nice and green still,
put out a round of new leaves, etc, it doesn't seem to be getting any
taller or much wider, for that matter. Is this typical? My guess is that
it's hopefully still busily putting down lots of nice roots, and will
start growing bigger next year, that's all it is, just a guess.

We have a lot of azaleas around the general area, which are doing great,
but this is our first experience with rhodies.

There are many types of rhodies, but most are very slow growing and prefer
partial shade as they are an understory planting. You might want to check
your soil pH as rhodies prefer acidic. And I'd not expect much growth the
first year or two of planting. It's also important to dead head after
flowering and pinch off about half the new growth to prevent legginess.