Old 23-08-2009, 09:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Rhododendrons slow growing?

My husband planted a small (about 8-10 inches)rhodie last April in a
woodsy spot that gets lots of morning sun, but mainly mottled sun at
best, the rest of the day. While it seems to be doing OK, nice and green
still, put out a round of new leaves, etc, it doesn't seem to be getting
any taller or much wider, for that matter. Is this typical? My guess is
that it's hopefully still busily putting down lots of nice roots, and
will start growing bigger next year, that's all it is, just a guess.

We have a lot of azaleas around the general area, which are doing great,
but this is our first experience with rhodies.

TIA

elaine
charlottesville, va
Old 23-08-2009, 09:28 PM posted to rec.gardens

This growth sounds normal for planting just this past April. The bush is
well settled if it is putting out new leaves and greenery. From your
description, it is getting plenty of sun.

When I have planted new, small rhodos, the growth in 2nd/ 3rd/ 4th years has
been much more than the 1st year.

James

Old 23-08-2009, 09:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

"epack" wrote in message
My husband planted a small (about 8-10 inches)rhodie last April in a
woodsy spot that gets lots of morning sun, but mainly mottled sun at best,
the rest of the day. While it seems to be doing OK, nice and green still,
put out a round of new leaves, etc, it doesn't seem to be getting any
taller or much wider, for that matter. Is this typical? My guess is that
it's hopefully still busily putting down lots of nice roots, and will
start growing bigger next year, that's all it is, just a guess.

We have a lot of azaleas around the general area, which are doing great,
but this is our first experience with rhodies.

There are many types of rhodies, but most are very slow growing and prefer
partial shade as they are an understory planting. You might want to check
your soil pH as rhodies prefer acidic. And I'd not expect much growth the
first year or two of planting. It's also important to dead head after
flowering and pinch off about half the new growth to prevent legginess.

Old 24-08-2009, 08:06 PM posted to rec.gardens

Hi Elaine,

Some varieties grow to be 3' tall in 10 years and some grow to be 7'
tall in 10 years. There a few other that are taller or shorter.

Shade stimulates tall gangly growth and sun suppresses growth. Partial
shade is best with most rhodies.

The main requirements for rhodies are moist, very well drained, acidic
soil.

If the leaves are green and healthy, then the soil is OK. If it is not
acidic, the leaves will turn yellow with green veins. If the leaves are
uniformly yellow then you need to fertilize. If you do use Hollytone at
half the rate on the package.

Steve

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA -
Old 30-08-2009, 12:16 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Aug 23, 4:10*pm, epack wrote:
My husband planted a small (about 8-10 inches)rhodie last April in a
woodsy spot that gets lots of morning sun, but mainly mottled sun at
best, the rest of the day. While it seems to be doing OK, nice and green
still, put out a round of new leaves, etc, it doesn't seem to be getting
any taller or much wider, for that matter. Is this typical? My guess is
that it's hopefully still busily putting down lots of nice roots, and
will start growing bigger next year, that's all it is, just a guess.

We have a lot of azaleas around the general area, which are doing great,
but this is our first experience with rhodies.

TIA

elaine
charlottesville, va

Yes it sounds like your Rhododendrons are healthy and rooting. Your
just impatient. It takes more than one season for most any plant to
establish. When it does, you will know. It will take off. Enjoy
it's early tentative moments.