Old 24-08-2009, 01:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
matthelliwell matthelliwell is offline

Default Picking blackcurrants?

On 21 Aug, 19:37, mogga wrote:
On Wed, 19 Aug 2009 04:31:48 -0700 (PDT), matthelliwell
Quite. And this I'll be seeing what they taste like squashed and
fermented. The raspberries I fermented earlier on are tasting rather
good.

Matt

Now that's an interesting idea... what do you do to them?

Two pounds of raspberries.
Two pints of water
1 or 2 pounds of sugar.
Wine yeast (preferably something with a high alcholol tolerance but
any white wine or champagne yeast will do).

Chop the fruit up in a blender and put the whole lot in a demijohn
Add water, sugar and yeast.
Stick on the airlock and let it bubble away.

Once its stopped bubbling, sieve out the debris, taste and put back
into the demijohn. If it doesn't taste sweet, you can then keep adding
sugar. This will start the fermentation again until its fermented
enough alchohol to kill of the yeast and has reached the level of
sweetness you want.

Let the dead yeast settle to the bottom and syphon off into bottles.

Matt