Old 26-08-2009, 12:37 PM posted to rec.gardens
OhioGuy OhioGuy is offline

Default Kale question

I've never grown kale before, but over the past 5 years I've found that I
like it more than any variety of lettuce for salads, and I buy it more and
more frequently. I've got a couple of questions for those who have grown it
before.

I figured that I might as well try to grow it. I'm here in southern Ohio,
inside a large city's limits where the temp averages about 5 degrees warmer
than out in the country 10 miles out.

I bought kale seeds this summer, and soaked them to get them growing
quicker. I put them in a raised bed, planting them about August 15. They
sprouted marvelously, and I just thinned them. Most of the plants now have
their first true leaf.

Question is, did I plant them too late?

We usually have a first frost by the very last day of October, or first
week of November. I'm not sure if I left enough time for the plants to
grow. Of course, we could have a whole month left of weather getting into
the 80's most every day, and they do get a lot of full sun now that I cut
down the cherry tree nearby.