Old 26-08-2009, 12:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Kale question

I've never grown kale before, but over the past 5 years I've found that I
like it more than any variety of lettuce for salads, and I buy it more and
more frequently. I've got a couple of questions for those who have grown it
before.

I figured that I might as well try to grow it. I'm here in southern Ohio,
inside a large city's limits where the temp averages about 5 degrees warmer
than out in the country 10 miles out.

I bought kale seeds this summer, and soaked them to get them growing
quicker. I put them in a raised bed, planting them about August 15. They
sprouted marvelously, and I just thinned them. Most of the plants now have
their first true leaf.

Question is, did I plant them too late?

We usually have a first frost by the very last day of October, or first
week of November. I'm not sure if I left enough time for the plants to
grow. Of course, we could have a whole month left of weather getting into
the 80's most every day, and they do get a lot of full sun now that I cut
down the cherry tree nearby.

Old 26-08-2009, 05:26 PM posted to rec.gardens

OhioGuy wrote:

I bought kale seeds this summer, and soaked them to get them growing
quicker. I put them in a raised bed, planting them about August 15. They
sprouted marvelously, and I just thinned them. Most of the plants now have
their first true leaf.

Question is, did I plant them too late?

We usually have a first frost by the very last day of October, or first
week of November. I'm not sure if I left enough time for the plants to
grow. Of course, we could have a whole month left of weather getting into
the 80's most every day, and they do get a lot of full sun now that I cut
down the cherry tree nearby.

Kale and other cabbage crops are tough and can stand pretty cold
weather. Brussels sprouts and kale become sweeter after a frost.

gloria p

Old 27-08-2009, 01:16 AM posted to rec.gardens

OhioGuy wrote:
[...]

I grow several Kale cultivars and they are very tough. They last over a
year (they are biennials) and survive over 110F in summer and down to 27F
with several hard frosts in winter. It may survive lower tempertures - I
don't know.

Cut the outside leaves regularly and they will keep producing for their
lifetime. They are also more resistant to pests such as cabbage moth than
most brassicas. For a tough, nutritious leafy green that is easy to grow
you cannot go past Kale.

David

Old 27-08-2009, 11:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

"OhioGuy" wrote in message
[...]

As other have said, they're tough. I'm in Rochester NY. In late September, I
cover the plants with fallen leaves to about 3/4 of their height, and put
wire fence on either side of the row to keep the leaves from blowing away.
This seems to be just enough cover to keep the plants from freezing to death
later. I've harvested kale anywhere from late November to early January,
depending on how evil a winter we're having. The plants don't seem to grow
much, but they don't die either. Because of the minimal growth, you might
want to plant twice as much to compensate.

Old 29-08-2009, 06:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article , "OhioGuy"
wrote:

much, but they don't die either. Because of the minimal growth, you might
want to plant twice as much to compensate.

Curious - I wonder if I could set up some sort of "wall 'o water" style
thing to really get them to live through a lot of the winter?

Look at various cold frame designs. Here is just one. The window well
covers looked interesting.

http://www.gardengatemagazine.com/main/pdf/coldfram.pdf

Bill

--

Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Prolonging kale mypet Gardening 0 05-03-2004 04:15 AM
In praise of Jersey Kale Steve Harris United Kingdom 14 13-01-2004 02:35 PM
Sea Kale? Steve Harris United Kingdom 21 28-12-2003 05:43 PM
Transplanting Jersey Kale? Steve Harris United Kingdom 0 17-04-2003 09:20 PM
curly kale: recepies ne1? Derek Turner United Kingdom 6 12-12-2002 10:44 PM