Old 26-08-2009, 05:26 PM posted to rec.gardens
Gloria P Gloria P is offline

Default Kale question

OhioGuy wrote:

I bought kale seeds this summer, and soaked them to get them growing
quicker. I put them in a raised bed, planting them about August 15. They
sprouted marvelously, and I just thinned them. Most of the plants now have
their first true leaf.

Question is, did I plant them too late?

We usually have a first frost by the very last day of October, or first
week of November. I'm not sure if I left enough time for the plants to
grow. Of course, we could have a whole month left of weather getting into
the 80's most every day, and they do get a lot of full sun now that I cut
down the cherry tree nearby.

Kale and other cabbage crops are tough and can stand pretty cold
weather. Brussels sprouts and kale become sweeter after a frost.

gloria p