Old 26-08-2009, 05:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_4_] Sacha[_4_] is offline

Default Return of the Plums

On 2009-08-25 14:16:23 +0100, Derek Turner said:

On Sun, 23 Aug 2009 18:31:25 +0100, mark wrote:

The freezers full! Now this:

http://i455.photobucket.com/albums/q...003/162823.jpg

mark

Send them to the Queen. Doesn't the song say 'Send her Victorias'?

Groaaaannnn! BTW, Derek, we have some new Jersey Sunrise and I'm
saving you some seed from those because I'm beginning to wonder if the
others have hybridised. How did they turn out with you? These, which
we've grown here this year, came from Jersey from someone who always
grows only J Sunrise. The fruits are wonderful for flavour and the
leaves are a bit different to the others we have.

As chance would have it, I had the first one to ripen for my lunch today:
it was very nice! but then a home-grown one straight from the vine is
always going to taste better than a Checkers one, whatever the variety.
I'd love to receive some of the new batch of seeds, thank you. Perhaps I
can grow enough for me and my fellow allotment-holders so that we can
keep the strain pure!

I'll send them off soon. We'll ask the same gardener if he can spare
some from his plants, too and then I'm going to ask Ray if he can find
room to keep them somewhere away from all the others next year, just to
be on the safe side. I want to try San Marzano, too because with
enough sun I think their flavour is sublime. Enough sun being the
problem, of course! Glad to hear your first taste was a good one!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com