Old 23-08-2009, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Return of the Plums

One lot of plums out of the way. The next tree is now just about ready and
is heavily laden. The stall at the front can't cope, it clears about 5 bags
a day, each bag of one and a half pounds selling for 50p.
Cupboards are jammed with jam. The freezers full! Now this:

http://i455.photobucket.com/albums/q...003/162823.jpg

mark

Old 23-08-2009, 06:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 23 Aug 2009 18:31:25 +0100, "mark"
wrote:

One lot of plums out of the way. The next tree is now just about ready and
is heavily laden. The stall at the front can't cope, it clears about 5 bags
a day, each bag of one and a half pounds selling for 50p.
Cupboards are jammed with jam. The freezers full! Now this:

http://i455.photobucket.com/albums/q...003/162823.jpg

mark

Plum wine? About 10 gallons should use a tree full.

Steve

Old 23-08-2009, 06:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

One lot of plums out of the way. The next tree is now just about ready and
is heavily laden. The stall at the front can't cope, it clears about 5
bags
a day, each bag of one and a half pounds selling for 50p.
Cupboards are jammed with jam. The freezers full! Now this:

http://i455.photobucket.com/albums/q...003/162823.jpg

mark

Plum wine? About 10 gallons should use a tree full.

That idea has been earmarked for next year. Haven't made sufficient
preparation this time round, getting all the demijohns, tubes and bungs etc.
mark

Old 23-08-2009, 06:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 23 Aug 2009, mark wrote:

One lot of plums out of the way. The next tree is now just about ready and
is heavily laden. The stall at the front can't cope, it clears about 5 bags
a day, each bag of one and a half pounds selling for 50p.
Cupboards are jammed with jam. The freezers full! Now this:

http://i455.photobucket.com/albums/q...003/162823.jpg

Please don't feel you're alone! ;-)

Try my recipe for plum relish. Makes good Christmas presents!

David

--
David Rance
writing from Le Mesnil Villement, Calvados, France
Old 23-08-2009, 06:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mark" wrote in message
o.uk...
One lot of plums out of the way. The next tree is now just about ready and
is heavily laden. The stall at the front can't cope, it clears about 5
bags a day, each bag of one and a half pounds selling for 50p.
Cupboards are jammed with jam. The freezers full! Now this:

http://i455.photobucket.com/albums/q...003/162823.jpg

They look wonderful! Send them to me

Old 24-08-2009, 09:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mark" wrote in message
o.uk...
One lot of plums out of the way. The next tree is now just about ready and
is heavily laden. The stall at the front can't cope, it clears about 5
bags a day, each bag of one and a half pounds selling for 50p.
Cupboards are jammed with jam. The freezers full! Now this:

http://i455.photobucket.com/albums/q...003/162823.jpg

mark

Start selling the jam?

Old 24-08-2009, 12:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Return of the Plums - What variety ?

Hi,

I'm thinking of planting a plum tree, what variety do you recommend ?

KK

o.uk...

Old 24-08-2009, 07:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bud Bud is offline

dido22 wrote:

Hi,

I'm thinking of planting a plum tree, what variety do you recommend ?

KK

Catalina plum, large and sweet. Seems to always set fruit no matter a
late freeze. Have to do a lot of thinning in a good year.
--
signature goes here
Old 25-08-2009, 02:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 23 Aug 2009 18:31:25 +0100, mark wrote:

The freezers full! Now this:

http://i455.photobucket.com/albums/q...003/162823.jpg

mark

Send them to the Queen. Doesn't the song say 'Send her Victorias'?
Old 26-08-2009, 10:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-08-25 14:16:23 +0100, Derek Turner said:

On Sun, 23 Aug 2009 18:31:25 +0100, mark wrote:

The freezers full! Now this:

http://i455.photobucket.com/albums/q...003/162823.jpg

mark

Send them to the Queen. Doesn't the song say 'Send her Victorias'?

Groaaaannnn! BTW, Derek, we have some new Jersey Sunrise and I'm
saving you some seed from those because I'm beginning to wonder if the
others have hybridised. How did they turn out with you? These, which
we've grown here this year, came from Jersey from someone who always
grows only J Sunrise. The fruits are wonderful for flavour and the
leaves are a bit different to the others we have.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 26-08-2009, 03:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-08-25 14:16:23 +0100, Derek Turner said:

On Sun, 23 Aug 2009 18:31:25 +0100, mark wrote:

The freezers full! Now this:

http://i455.photobucket.com/albums/q...003/162823.jpg

mark

Send them to the Queen. Doesn't the song say 'Send her Victorias'?

Groaaaannnn! BTW, Derek, we have some new Jersey Sunrise and I'm
saving you some seed from those because I'm beginning to wonder if the
others have hybridised. How did they turn out with you? These, which
we've grown here this year, came from Jersey from someone who always
grows only J Sunrise. The fruits are wonderful for flavour and the
leaves are a bit different to the others we have.

As chance would have it, I had the first one to ripen for my lunch today:
it was very nice! but then a home-grown one straight from the vine is
always going to taste better than a Checkers one, whatever the variety.
I'd love to receive some of the new batch of seeds, thank you. Perhaps I
can grow enough for me and my fellow allotment-holders so that we can
keep the strain pure!
Old 26-08-2009, 05:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-08-25 14:16:23 +0100, Derek Turner said:

[...]

I'll send them off soon. We'll ask the same gardener if he can spare
some from his plants, too and then I'm going to ask Ray if he can find
room to keep them somewhere away from all the others next year, just to
be on the safe side. I want to try San Marzano, too because with
enough sun I think their flavour is sublime. Enough sun being the
problem, of course! Glad to hear your first taste was a good one!