Old 27-08-2009, 08:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Broadback[_2_] Broadback[_2_] is offline

Default Advice needed on growing blueberries.

Martin Brown wrote:
Alma wrote:
Can anyone give me advice on growing Blueberries. I thought they
could be grown in containers but growing to a height of 5' seems
rather high for a patio.

They are fine in a 12-16" pot and self limiting in growth. You need two
distinct cultivars and when they have berries on they absolutely have to
be netted if you want to eat the berries rather than feed the birds.

Use rainwater and the occasional acid plant feed. They don't like lime.

Good crop this year.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Now you tell me Martin! I had a lovely crop on mine, then got up one
morning and there were the blackbirds acrobatically swing from the
branches. So I threw some netting over, next morning they had alighted
on the netting and were fruit picking through the net. I hastily made a
cane frame and netted over that. OK but the trouble is with the high
winds we have had lately it keeps blowing over!

--
Please reply to group,emails to designated
address are never read.