Old 26-08-2009, 12:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Advice needed on growing blueberries.

Can anyone give me advice on growing Blueberries. I thought they could be
grown in containers but growing to a height of 5' seems rather high for a
patio.

TIA

Old 26-08-2009, 01:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Alma wrote:
Can anyone give me advice on growing Blueberries. I thought they could be
grown in containers but growing to a height of 5' seems rather high for a
patio.

They are fine in a 12-16" pot and self limiting in growth. You need two
distinct cultivars and when they have berries on they absolutely have to
be netted if you want to eat the berries rather than feed the birds.

Use rainwater and the occasional acid plant feed. They don't like lime.

Good crop this year.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 26-08-2009, 03:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 13:03:44 +0100, Martin Brown wrote:

Use rainwater and the occasional acid plant feed. They don't like lime.

And ericaseous (sp?) compost in the pot!
Old 27-08-2009, 08:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin Brown wrote:
Alma wrote:
Can anyone give me advice on growing Blueberries. I thought they
could be grown in containers but growing to a height of 5' seems
rather high for a patio.

They are fine in a 12-16" pot and self limiting in growth. You need two
distinct cultivars and when they have berries on they absolutely have to
be netted if you want to eat the berries rather than feed the birds.

Use rainwater and the occasional acid plant feed. They don't like lime.

Good crop this year.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Now you tell me Martin! I had a lovely crop on mine, then got up one
morning and there were the blackbirds acrobatically swing from the
branches. So I threw some netting over, next morning they had alighted
on the netting and were fruit picking through the net. I hastily made a
cane frame and netted over that. OK but the trouble is with the high
winds we have had lately it keeps blowing over!

--
Please reply to group,emails to designated
address are never read.
Old 27-08-2009, 09:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thank you to you all for the advice - think I shall have a try - can you
advise on cultivars please; will they be hardy in the NE. Any suggestions
on where to buy would also be appreciated, would I need 2/3 year old plants
to fruit next year.

Old 27-08-2009, 10:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Broadback wrote:
Martin Brown wrote:
Alma wrote:
[...]

Mine are in a simple cane frame. No chance of getting to eat them if the
birds can get at them. They do taste pretty scrummy so I expect birds
think so too. Strawberries also need netting. Raspberries seem to be
mostly OK provided you don't wire them too close to the top of the
canes. If there is no easy perch the birds go for something else.

I have the same problem with josta berries. They are even funnier when
the hens get under the bushes and start jumping up to get at the fruit!

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 27-08-2009, 11:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27 Aug, 11:51, Martin Brown
wrote:
Broadback wrote:
Martin Brown wrote:
Alma wrote:
[...]

Martin Brown- Hide quoted text -

I have three different blueberries on the patio and also have a cat.

Plentiful crop this year and been picking them from late May.
Old 27-08-2009, 03:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

cardiffman wrote:

I have three different blueberries on the patio and also have a cat.

Plentiful crop this year and been picking them from late May.

So the secret to success must be to grow them in a cage with a cat
inside ;-)

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.