Old 27-08-2009, 12:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pam Moore[_2_] Pam Moore[_2_] is offline

Default mustard

On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 16:44:46 +0100, Billit
wrote:

could any one advise me on the use of green manures, I am going to use
mustard for the first time and I would like all the guidance I can get
on the , cutting and anything else that is relevent to this form of
manuring.

I used mustard successfully one year. I sowed it quite late, can't
remember when, on an open patch of land. I let it grow to about 9
inches then covered the whole area with black polythene for the
winter. The whole lot had rotted away by Spring, and I had nice
friable soil. I still had bindweed, dandelions etc but a spray of
weedkiller helped with those.
Rye is hard to dig in.
Phacelia has such pretty flowers that I couldn't bear to dig it in!
Legumes are good because they fix nitrogen, but never let them grow
too big.

Pam in Bristol